Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do barcodes trigger alarms ? I notice some shops have only barcodes on it's items watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been in many different stores which have those security alarm gates at the entrance but I found that every single item only has a barcode and no other tags apart from a barcode . I was in a store today which was just clothes liie t shirts and thin jackets , all of which only had barcodes printed on them. this said store has an alarm gate at it's entrance. Is it possible that barcodes cause the alarm gates to ring out when taken out the store without being scanned ? if not what is the reason for the said alarm gates ? thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HeavenBound)
    I have been in many different stores which have those security alarm gates at the entrance but I found that every single item only has a barcode and no other tags apart from a barcode . I was in a store today which was just clothes liie t shirts and thin jackets , all of which only had barcodes printed on them. this said store has an alarm gate at it's entrance. Is it possible that barcodes cause the alarm gates to ring out when taken out the store without being scanned ? if not what is the reason for the said alarm gates ? thanks
    http://www.explainthatstuff.com/rfid.html
    Also, I'm sure you are just curious but if I were you I'd be careful asking this sort of thing because it could come across as if you are looking to go shoplifting. There will always be real security measures.

ReputationRep:
    The barcodes are all linked to a big system which states how many of those items there are. That system updates when someone pays for an item.

The alarms also have a small scanner built into them that detects the bar codes and it can recognize if an item has been paid for or not

ReputationRep:
    How the hell can barcodes trigger alarms. Security tags are different.

Either way, don't steal, they'll catch you eventually on CCTV and you will go to jail eventually if you don't stop

ReputationRep:
    Are you TSR's poundland shoplifter
    ?

ReputationRep:
    haha, nope I am not a shoplifter but I am the person who created thread ! lol
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by HeavenBound)
    It's not the barcode that does it - it's the invisible chip inside the barcode sticker (and/or located elsewhere in the product).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-...identification

ReputationRep:
    Only the slightly thick magnetic barcodes/strip on items / tags on clothes trigger alarms.
    Most don't; it'd be too expensive to put a thing on every single item, or it'd slow down the queue too much I guess, therefore missing out on profits. They only seem to do it on expensive items people are likely to steal, I guess.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Rorschach II)
    Only the slightly thick magnetic barcodes/strip on items / tags on clothes trigger alarms.
    Most don't; it'd be too expensive to put a thing on every single item, or it'd slow down the queue too much I guess, therefore missing out on profits. They only seem to do it on expensive items people are likely to steal, I guess.
    How does it slow down the queue? Answer: it doesn't.

You will find most retailers are aiming for (or have achieved) 100% RFID for clothing.

eg http://www.retailtechnology.co.uk/ne...g-benefits-ms/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    How does it slow down the queue? Answer: it doesn't.

You will most retailers are aiming for (or have achieved) 100% RFID for clothing.

eg http://www.retailtechnology.co.uk/ne...g-benefits-ms/
    It was only a guess.

There is plenty of clothing that have no tags in my anecdotal experiences.

ReputationRep:
    How many ****ing threads about barcodes are you going to make?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I don't think just a barcode would or could set off those security gates. I think it's probably better you think they keep you from stealing because it sounds like you are trying to think of a way to steal without getting caught.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.