Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I plan to go to Cambridge and study Mathematics - getting a BA or MPA.

After this, there is a possibility I will study a 4 year Medicine course (A101). By this time I will be 20 or 21 upon entry, depending if I take a fourth year in Maths. However, will the Maths degree be acceptable for the 4 year course?

ReputationRep:
    You know that A101 4 year courses exist? So I don't understand why not make the next obvious step of looking up which medical schools offer them and what their specific requirements currently are? :confused:

The UCAS website would be a good starting point and seems to link to individual medical school websites or university ones where you can find them. If appropriate these often spiral out to further information about other 'qualifications' they require you do take if aptitude exams are used in their admissions process (or some directly googleable hit words: 'BMAT' - British Medical Admissions Test, 'UKCAT' - UK Clinical Aptitude Test, 'GAMSAT' - someone remind me?).
    Alternatively, there are online resources about the process of applying and becoming a graduate medic more broadly - e.g. 'tactics' for a successful application and other more focussed message boards than this one.

But... to motivate you to get started. :p:

Q: Will the Maths degree be acceptable for the 4 year course?
    A: At the moment it would not be accepted by all such courses. For some it is, although these may have additional academic requirements too (e.g. the aptitude tests mentioned, or A levels in Biology/Chemistry).

edit - from your sig you'll be matriculating at university in 2008 at the earliest? If med school is a hypothetical application for 2011/2012 at the earliest I wouldn't get too hung up about details of courses and requirements right now - they're changeable! Focuss on what you want to study at university right now...

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't even taken AS levels yet, but you're considering medicine, why not apply for 5 yr A100 med instead of maths? Otherwise your 4yr A101 course will start after the cap on tuition fees is lifted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    If you haven't even taken AS levels yet, but you're considering medicine, why not apply for 5 yr A100 med instead of maths? Otherwise your 4yr A101 course will start after the cap on tuition fees is lifted.
    Because I'll only be 17 when I plan to join university. Most (if not all) universities do not accept under 18s for medicine - and many don't accept under 18s at all! I might as well spend 7/8 years at university and end up with 2 degrees rather than have a gap year and then do 5/6 years doing medicine. The maths acts as a fall back degree. If I'm doing very well at maths and get a good job offer, I might not do the medicine course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Because I'll only be 17 when I plan to join university. Most (if not all) universities do not accept under 18s for medicine - and many don't accept under 18s at all! I might as well spend 7/8 years at university and end up with 2 degrees rather than have a gap year and then do 5/6 years doing medicine. The maths acts as a fall back degree. If I'm doing very well at maths and get a good job offer, I might not do the medicine course.
    Yes they do..you just need special permission afaik. I know a few <18's who've done it.

ReputationRep:
    TheTallOne - I know exactly where you're coming from. I was also seriously considering Maths over Medicine, I'll be 17 when I start uni in 2008, and I'm applying to Cambridge.

I chose Medicine in the end as I want to have a career where I'm always still learning and every day is different. (Also - I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but - I was terrified that I'd lose my passion for maths halfway through, as my teachers at the moment are fab, and I couldn't quite separate them from the subject - but that's just me.)

Quite a few universities will accept you - you have to spend some time ringing them and asking for details, so don't always trust the prospectus/website if it says they won't let U17s in! There's often a date by which you have to be 18, so if your birthday is round September/October, there's a good chance they'll accept you.

As far as I know, the ones that will accept U17s are:
    Cambridge (but check with colleges), Oxford, Bristol, King's, UCL, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester.
    They might have changed since I last checked, and I haven't checked all the uni's that offer medicine.

Cambridge appeals to me as you can take pretty much any subject you want in your third year - so I'll be taking Maths if I get in! I also know that Cambridge accepts any first class degree for its graduate medical course, if you take Maths first.

Hope that load of rambling helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I've done some looking up on college websites - my birthday is in November, but some of the minimum age dates are in October, some in December.
    Christ's, Churchill, Homerton, Magdalene, Trinity and trinity Hall all accept U18s born by December.
    Clare, Downing, King's, Lucy Cavendish (not that it matters), St johns and Wolfson (doesn't offer Maths!) state that they will not accept me (have to be born before Oct 1st).

ReputationRep:
    Well it's usually before December. I think as long as one is 18 before dissection starts it's ok.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.