Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought since many have questions on their EE's there should be a thread devoted to questions (and answers of course). I have looked around at TSR but I can't find one so here goes...

Let me ask this then: How long should the different parts be? Like introduction, body and conclusion? Should they be equal or should introduction be shorter?

Intro: 25%
    Body: 40%
    Concl: 35%

Or?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe 10/80/10 ?

It is a bit subjec-dependent though. I for one know my EE didn't have long intro's and conclusions, but that doesn't make much sense in maths. Now my EE is a crap example since it got a C, but my classmate who got an A for his maths EE wrote it in a pretty similar fashion as me, although slightly more than me on intro/conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    yeah probably depends on subject and topic... Thanx though!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the subject. Mine wasn't really split up into intro/body/conclusion. Mine has lots of little parts in it, I even did a case study in the middle.

But then again, I didn't really know how to write mine. I just sort of did whatever came to mind. I did manage to get an A on it, but I think thats just because my subject is a little rare (politics) and not many people write on it.

But generally, I would guess that conclusions would be less than about 35%-- just enough to sum things up and make a judgment.

ReputationRep:
    I did English A2 and my intro and conclusion were about half a page each, ended up with a B. Ask your teacher though for more guidance.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the 300-word abstract

ReputationRep:
    Er...our extended essay coordinator (not supervisor) told us that the introduction was only suppose to be about half a page and no, he wasn't talking about the abstract.

ReputationRep:
    Afterglow - that's what I said too So no need to seem all shocked

0.1*4000=400 and normally at least I get 700 words per page (i.e. if crammed with text).

I definitely think anything over 500 words as an introduction seems too long, I only had about 200 for mine I think. Of course it can vary with the structure of the essay, and the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Abstract isn't counted in the word count

And depends on what you mean by "introduction". I did A1 and had an intro to the essay which was about 300 words then an intro to the works I'm talking about which was about the same length. So I kind of had 2 intros. My conclusion was pretty short as well, cant remember off the top of my head how long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMSChocolate)
    Abstract isn't counted in the word count

And depends on what you mean by "introduction". I did A1 and had an intro to the essay which was about 300 words then an intro to the works I'm talking about which was about the same length. So I kind of had 2 intros. My conclusion was pretty short as well, cant remember off the top of my head how long.
    i was just thinking that I sort of have 2 intros and wondering what to do with it :p: but then I know it's OK then, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    my introduction was quite short compared with my body and conclusion.

i did my EE in economics and my conclusion was about 2.5 pages of writing...size 10...verdana

btw..my intro was about 1.5 pages

your body should make up the most of your EE

ReputationRep:
    I have another question: quotations? How many should I include and is it crucial to use equal number of quotations from each novel (working with two novels)? Right now I have 10 quotations from one and 7 from the other...

Writing in English

ReputationRep:
    I have another question as well. What if what I want to write sort of straddles two topics? Say, I want to write a paper about both the historical, philosophical, and mathematical implications of one concept in math, but in equal parts. Do I have to persue only one aspect of those three I listed, or will I lose point on which ever subject's rubric I submit it as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zackinbaltimore)
    I have another question as well. What if what I want to write sort of straddles two topics? Say, I want to write a paper about both the historical, philosophical, and mathematical implications of one concept in math, but in equal parts. Do I have to persue only one aspect of those three I listed, or will I lose point on which ever subject's rubric I submit it as?
    Trust me, one topic is enough for 4000 words. They want you to be as specific as possible because even though 4000 words may sound like a lot, it is not. It's only enough to develop a well in-depth topic.

So no, treating several subjects in one single essay is not possible.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the IB Graders for math allow you to split up your EE into either an analytical, proof-heavy paper, or more History of Math oriented paper.

I'm going off to the EE Sticky thread to discuss the specific topic, so you can follow it there if you so desire.

(Love how I give TSR dimensional representation, btw.)

ReputationRep:
    I have another question: quotations? How many should I include
    As many as you need to make your arguments and analysis

is it crucial to use equal number of quotations from each novel (working with two novels)?
    No. I doubt examiners would count anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I have one question.....

So how do you start?

Lol okay, it's just me being frustrated. I'm so bad at starting things.

ReputationRep:
    How to start eh...

You need a topic first of all :P

and then, as my teachers said it: "find what you like most from that topic, and write about it!"

...granted, it wasn't as easy as they say...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have my topic, my arguments and everything. I have even written the introduction but now when it comes to starting to write my main body, I'm all stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afterglow)
    Yes, I have my topic, my arguments and everything. I have even written the introduction but now when it comes to starting to write my main body, I'm all stuck.
    I also found it very frustrating at first when I sat down to write the body. But then I started with outlining as fibiso says and it became much easier. For me, as I'm writing on literature, it was best to first read the novels and write down any quotes that I could possibly use for my essay. Then I outlined the main points, my main arguments. After that, I just tried to find quotes matching and took it from there. Really helpful. I thought I'd never get started and now I'm 724 words from a complete EE! (of course, I don't know if it sucks :p: )

bullet points, outline and give it time!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.