Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This might seem odd to some people, but it's been my life since I was a kid.

I just graduated uni (lived in halls/student accom for 3 years) and can't afford my own place right now. So I'm back with the 'rents. They've been divorced since I was little and I've always split my time between their homes. They don't live next door, one lives in London, the other just past B'ham.

I enjoy both homes for their different things and I enjoy both parent's company. However, at my age, it isn't the ideal situation and I will be happy to have my independence, not least because something weird happens everything I get back to one house after being at the other for a while - it feels like I'm a guest and starting all over again (e.g. feel rude just opening the fridge for a snack or getting a shower without checking no one needs the bathroom etc) and it takes me about 2 days to settle in.

I also get to one and think "this is home" and then go to the other and think "this is home"....and then feel like I can't decide and the ultimately neither of them are my home - they're someone else's. I feel like a couch surfer sometimes. They insist that it's not like that at all (I have a room in each house) and insist it's my home at each and that I'm welcome.

But I just feel like I have no place to call home and that I'm not grounded anywhere and basically live out of a suitcase.

Has anyone else experienced this weird feeling? It's like I lose my mojo for a few days every time I switch houses - I get really out of sorts and life just doesn't feel stable and constant - it gives me anxiety and I can't sleep right. When I'm travelling between the two is the only time I feel stable (?!) because it's just me and a familiar route and familiar scenes - same train carriage, same platform, same views out of the window, same newspaper etc - and it feels right and I feel independent and in control for that time.

So, any 'grown ups' living at home? Any people with divorced/separated parents living in different homes? All of my friends parents are married/together so I feel alone in this especially as a 22 yr old.

ReputationRep:
    At least your dad talks to you :sigh:

(Original post by 0to100)
    At least your dad talks to you :sigh:
    Yeah that's one thing I'm really lucky with and cannot fault them for - they always put me before their problems and communicate openly with me. They're both pretty chill in that respect - I can chat with them about almost anything. It's definitely not their fault I feel like this since they do everything they can to make me feel welcome.

Are your parents divorced? How come your Dad isn't speaking to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah that's one thing I'm really lucky with and cannot fault them for - they always put me before their problems and communicate openly with me. They're both pretty chill in that respect - I can chat with them about almost anything. It's definitely not their fault I feel like this since they do everything they can to make me feel welcome.

Are your parents divorced? How come your Dad isn't speaking to you?
    dunno where he is

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.