Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

To keep it short. I am leaving my full time employment to do an access course in September.

From that, I hope to attend university next year for my first undergrad degree,

I am trying to work out about funding.

I don't get funding for the access but have small savings to live off during this.

I know the funding has changed into one maintenance loan now for Uni/

I have read the forms and guidance and realised that, at 23 but having worked over 3 years, I will be classed as an independent student.

As I will be leaving my work and doing my UNI degree full time from next Sept, my income will be 0? Does this mean as an independent student studying full time I automatically get the full loan?

On the other hand, I have been on 13-18k per annum salary over the last few years but have no savings etc and I know they ask for your income.

If the above is not correct (as in I will get full loan), how on earth will I afford uni + rent etc? Surely because I had quite a low paying job for a few years prior that would not effect my amount of loan eligibility for my first course?

Thanks for any help, sorry its a bit long. Just want it clarifying before I quit my job!!

p.s. My "parents" income is also very low, so i originally thought I was safe before I realised I would be classed as an independent student!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Platinum213)
    Hi

To keep it short. I am leaving my full time employment to do an access course in September.

From that, I hope to attend university next year for my first undergrad degree,

I am trying to work out about funding.

I don't get funding for the access but have small savings to live off during this.

I know the funding has changed into one maintenance loan now for Uni/

I have read the forms and guidance and realised that, at 23 but having worked over 3 years, I will be classed as an independent student.

As I will be leaving my work and doing my UNI degree full time from next Sept, my income will be 0? Does this mean as an independent student studying full time I automatically get the full loan?

On the other hand, I have been on 13-18k per annum salary over the last few years but have no savings etc and I know they ask for your income.

If the above is not correct (as in I will get full loan), how on earth will I afford uni + rent etc? Surely because I had quite a low paying job for a few years prior that would not effect my amount of loan eligibility for my first course?

Thanks for any help, sorry its a bit long. Just want it clarifying before I quit my job!!

p.s. My "parents" income is also very low, so i originally thought I was safe before I realised I would be classed as an independent student!
    The income of the student is never included - only unearned income (from trust funds and rental investments and the like) is counted.

If you're classed as independent then only your (unearned) income in 2017/18 and the income of your partner (if you have one) for the 2015/16 tax year would be assessed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The income of the student is never included - only unearned income (from trust funds and rental investments and the like) is counted.

If you're classed as independent then only your (unearned) income in 2017/18 and the income of your partner (if you have one) for the 2015/16 tax year would be assessed.
    Excellent, thank you for clarifying.

No Partner and no unearned income so all looks good.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.