Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have chosen my 4 a levels as; economics, geography, history and politics. I profoundly aspire to attend a prestigious university, but are these subjects good for a finance/economics course or law course - provided i get good grades?

Also, i understand there is no maths and that may be needed for most finance/economics courses - does anyone know of any good universities that will allow me to study a course such as these without maths. I got an A in gcse maths.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by brandonjohn99)
    Hi,

I have chosen my 4 a levels as; economics, geography, history and politics. I profoundly aspire to attend a prestigious university, but are these subjects good for a finance/economics course or law course - provided i get good grades?

Also, i understand there is no maths and that may be needed for most finance/economics courses - does anyone know of any good universities that will allow me to study a course such as these without maths. I got an A in gcse maths.
    History and Economics are often said to be facilitating subjects so you're fine if you want to study Fin/Eco. Law, is open to any students with lots of different combinations of A-levels.

What I would do is go onto search.ucas.com and look up the universities you aspire to apply to.

To know Russell Group univerisites, just type that into a search engine and you'll be on your merry way chick.

ReputationRep:
    Geography/History/Politics will most likely limit you to a more narrow careerpath (it closes off any science routes if you ever change your mind), is there any particular reason why you don't like the idea of mathematics as an A-level?

ReputationRep:
    If by prestigious university, you mean the likes of Oxford, you need Maths to study Economics and Further Maths is also highly favourable.

ReputationRep:
    you should be fine imo. Why not take maths though? You got an A you could do well in A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    For applying for Law, your subjects seem fine but for an Economics/Finance course, most universities will require A-level Maths (for many universities, just GCSE level maths is not enough). Goodluck x

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I do not feel confident enough in maths to do it as an A-level, i would rather not take it than take it and fail. I feel like my gcse A may have been a fluke. I know manchester uni allows me to take finance/economics with an A in gcse maths, is this a good university? I strongly aspire to work in london when i am older. Thanks for your help guys.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.