Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's require to hae 120 credits at the end of first year. How could you have that much credits if you only study a few modules? A few modules in one year won't add up to 120 credits. Hope you can help me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Some uni's require to hae 120 credits at the end of first year. How could you have that much credits if you only study a few modules? A few modules in one year won't add up to 120 credits. Hope you can help me out.

Which would imply that you get some free electives to make up for the rest of the Credits that aren't classed as Core in your first year.

ReputationRep:
    Some times you can have double module. Each module is worth 10 credits each. However some are double modules which are worth 20 credits.

ReputationRep:
    If each module is 10 credits, can you have 5 credits as you didn't do well in that module?

ReputationRep:
    If each module is 10 credits, can you have 5 credits as you didn't do well in that module?
    No its either pass or fail, 40% is pass (roughly) so you get 10 credits. You need 120 in theory to get to your next year. In the second and third year the overal percentage mark for all your assingments counts towards your degee.

ReputationRep:
    I thought 50% was a pass. Usually the first year doesn't count toward your final degree grade though.

ReputationRep:
    I thought 50% was a pass. Usually the first year doesn't count toward your final degree grade though.
    Nah, it is usually 40% for a pass.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then. Does that mean after you you completed the three year degree course, you just need 40% and above to pass the degree course?

ReputationRep:
    Ok then. Does that mean after you you completed the three year degree course, you just need 40% and above to pass the degree course?
    40% overall over the 2nd and 3rd years. Although, you really don't wanna be aiming to just pass.

ReputationRep:
    True. Why is pass mark so low, and I think it should be 50% instead of 40%. Usually the first year stuff doesn't count towards your final degree grade, how come?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno why the pass mark is low, I guess cos degrees are quite tough (it's really hard to get a first methinks). Not sure why the first year doesn't count either, maybe so people can get used to a different style of learning.. dunno really though.

ReputationRep:
    maths at exeter : each module is 15 credits.

8 modules ( 4 each semester)

8*15=120

love Katy ***

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.