Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, all.

Is it acceptable to apply for 2 PhDs in the same department of the same university?
    It's the same supervisor for both, so he'll know I've applied for both. They are very similar projects however.
    Will I look keen and interested or will it look a bit dodgy?

ReputationRep:
    I would just ask the supervisor. He may suggest you apply for one and he'll consider you for the other project as well or he may ask you to apply for both.

When it comes to PhD applications it's more of personal relationship than applying to undergrad courses so you are expected to ask these sorts of questions and discuss it. Often if a supervisor likes a student but feels they're skills aren't quite the perfect match they will offer an alternative PhD if they have another available.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BCPM)
    Hi, all.

Is it acceptable to apply for 2 PhDs in the same department of the same university?
    It's the same supervisor for both, so he'll know I've applied for both. They are very similar projects however.
    Will I look keen and interested or will it look a bit dodgy?
    One of my lecturers and his colleague both had the same applicant, he told me he didn't really entertain the application as the person was clearly just applying to whatever. However I'm not sure how different the PhDs were. How similar are the ones you're looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.