Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why Northern Ireland & London leaving UK because of Brexit is ridiculous Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going based on vote share by borders and areas here. (As the SNP, Sinn Fein and Plaid Cymru are.)

Let me get this straight: Scotland is the only country that can legitimately call for independence because of Brexit. That's because every area in Scotland voted to stay in the EU.

Some in Northern Ireland and London say they can declare independence (or merge with ROI in case of NI.) because most people in those areas voted to stay.

But they can't because not every area in those places voted to stay. Let's take London, for example; they're complaining that they're a minority within the country (UK) because they voted majority to stay and want independence. Well, if they declared independence then what about the areas of London that voted to leave? In that case, they have legitiment right to complain that they're a minorty within the country (London) because they voted majority to leave. So, then what happens, those areas of London that voted leave then declare independence from London?

I, myself, am from one of the areas in London that voted majorty to Leave. (As I did, obivously.) If it's wrong for Londoners who voted to stay to be a minority in the UK why is it completely fine for Londoners, such as myself, who voted to Leave to be a minority in this new independent London?

ReputationRep:
    Brexit isn't gonna happen tbh, in about 2 years time we'll be in a situation where we have 'technically' left the EU but the situation is identical to how it was before

ReputationRep:
    It's called being a sore loser. Or a power hungry politician.

ReputationRep:
    London Independence wasn't serious; in part it was lampooning Brexit arguments. Nobody really has given an answer to why London or Northern Ireland can't go independent that don't apply to the UK leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason why NI can't unify with Ireland. I'm not so sure it's in their interests at the moment at least financially.

It does not matter so much how people voted in a past election it matters more what peoples' opinion are at the time. In a few years after brexit they may want to rejoin the EU. Who are we to stop them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Let me get this straight: Scotland is the only country that can legitimately call for independence because of Brexit. That's because every area in Scotland voted to stay in the EU…
    Your argument is a little bit absurd because it's addressing a point that no one is seriously considering (in the case of London). But it also doesn't make sense to argue that arbitrary sub-divisions can't be forced to do what the overall area decided to do.

I'll illustrate this point. In the London boroughs that a majority voted LEAVE there must have been individual wards that voted to REMAIN, how can they be compelled to LEAVE just because someone else did? To reduce it further there must be individual streets that voted to remain, or people in individual dwellings that did.

The more you break it down the more absurd the argument becomes. Probably the only legitimate boundaries in that sort of argument are "England", "Scotland", "Wales" and "Northern Ireland".

Given that Northern Ireland gave a 56% vote to REMAIN (a significant majority over the UK vote), I think it is legitimate to at least consider its position as part of the UK and its future with the EU.

Apart from that I'm with @swiss_cheese and @gladders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiss_cheese)
    Brexit isn't gonna happen tbh, in about 2 years time we'll be in a situation where we have 'technically' left the EU but the situation is identical to how it was before
    But ironically, everyone will have forgotten why we left and be fretting about something else instead. Europe never was an issue. In 10 years time, it will still be possible to put forward the arguments of lack of democracy, too much red tape and of course, immigration issues will not have been solved.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.