Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Geography, History, Sociology or Environmental studies? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys !

I'm so confused which GCSE's to pick ! Please help me out !
    Which of these subjects are easier to learn in a short time period?

1. Geography
    2. History
    3. Sociology
    4. Enviornmental management
    5. Religious studies
    6. Travel and tourism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanna423)
    Hi guys !

I'm so confused which GCSE's to pick ! Please help me out !
    Which of these subjects are easier to learn in a short time period?

1. Geography
    2. History
    3. Sociology
    4. Enviornmental management
    5. Religious studies
    6. Travel and tourism?
    Probably RE (not sure, it's just what my friends had been telling me), and also Environmental Management, which is quite like geography, but I loved the subject Sociology is okay i guess, its definitely as hard as geography or history as it requires you to memorise a lot of key terms and the aqa exam has 12 marker questions etc, with a short timing. Not sure about travel and tourism? :/

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I sound rude but picking the subject which people say is 'easiest to learn in a short time period' is a terrible way of going about it. Different people are better at different things and you have your own strengths and interests.

I took geography, history and religious studies at GCSE so if you have any queries about these then please message me or ask me here. Please remember that I can give general advice as both GCSEs and A Levels are undergoing serious change.

Personally I enjoy geography which is why I also took it for A Level. GCSE is a lot of memory work and in geography, it's details about case studies. These often include numbers and statistics related to that topic. So for example, in a topic about river flooding, you will need to memorise an example with data like number of casualties, amount of rainfall and damage costs. The actual content and theory in geography is not too difficult.

History is what you expect, a lot of memory work on dates and events coupled with serious exam technique, especially essay writing. Religious studies has less content than the other two (or it did for my exams) but needs deeper understanding and the ability to think and write answers quickly as the exam times are short.

Like I said, if you have any specific questions on these subjects, do PM me.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.