Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting college (not uni) in September. I'm currently unemployed and live with my retired father who doesn't support me financially. I pay him £10 a week rent to have a roof over my head and buy my own food and toiletries. This comes out of my life savings which is beginning to get very low. I lost my mum last year, the only person I could turn to therefore I have no help.

is there anyway could get financial help such as a grant? I don't fancy a loan as I would struggle to pay it back.
    this is getting me really down and I don't know how long I can cope.
    Is there anyone out there going through the same or has been through a similar experience? thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwawrlj)
    I'm starting college (not uni) in September. I'm currently unemployed and live with my retired father who doesn't support me financially. I pay him £10 a week rent to have a roof over my head and buy my own food and toiletries. This comes out of my life savings which is beginning to get very low. I lost my mum last year, the only person I could turn to therefore I have no help.

is there anyway could get financial help such as a grant? I don't fancy a loan as I would struggle to pay it back.
    this is getting me really down and I don't know how long I can cope.
    Is there anyone out there going through the same or has been through a similar experience? thanks guys
    Unfortunately there's not much available. You could possibly get under 18s support from your college, but all that gives is free meals at college and help with essentials for college, like travel. But it also depends on your father's income. Since you live with one of your parents it is their responsibility to support you so there is not much help for those whose parents don't.

You have the choice of getting an evening or weekend job, that would give you enough. You can't receive any benefits since you live with a parent. There are barely any grants or bursaries for people not going to uni and most are dependant on such things like being estranged from parents.

Most I can see is you have two choices. One, get a job to support yourself. Or two, go to a place like YMCA and live on your own on benefit until you finish your education.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately im 20 years old next monday
    Thanks for your help
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you're part time, you may get benefits. But you would be expected to give up college for a job.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe look online for scholarships that fund small maintenance costs? Contact your council and see what they can offer you. Sorry I can't be of more help, I wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delilah234)
    Maybe look online for scholarships that fund small maintenance costs? Contact your council and see what they can offer you. Sorry I can't be of more help, I wish you the best of luck!
    Sounds like a good idea, thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I was living with my sister who was my guardian and she was asking me for money even though she got child benefit for me. I worked ~12 hours a week while at college to cover the rest but gave up because our relationship wasn't that good. I moved out to a bedsit and got benefits. Still worked but I could safely do my college work too because my rent was paid for and I earned enough to live from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    I was living with my sister who was my guardian and she was asking me for money even though she got child benefit for me. I worked ~12 hours a week while at college to cover the rest but gave up because our relationship wasn't that good. I moved out to a bedsit and got benefits. Still worked but I could safely do my college work too because my rent was paid for and I earned enough to live from
    That's the only option i think i have to be honest! Thanks for your help x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwawrlj)
    That's the only option i think i have to be honest! Thanks for your help x
    By the way, have you thought of visiting like a Routes YMCA office or something? Basically support for young people. They could talk to you about it and give you different options and help you out figuring it all out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 19, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.