Turn on thread page Beta

Have you given blood before? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you given blood?
    Yes
    14.00%
    No
    55.40%
    No, but I plan on doing so soon.
    30.59%

ReputationRep:
    As the title reads, have you given blood? My girlfriend went today for the first time and said she nearly fainted (although that was because she hadn't managed to eat enough as she was working just before.) I'm thinking of going in the future!

Will you be going in the future? Can you give blood? Are you put off doing so?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Not t allowed

ReputationRep:
    I have but they couldn't get enough blood from me.... at one point they seemed to think I had no blood pressure at all but because I wasn't literally dead I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Not t allowed
    Yeah a lot of people are like that - would you if you could?

ReputationRep:
    Yes about 5/6 times.

Never fainted or had many problems.

I haven't been for a while but I really should, especially as my blood group is O- (it's universal donor so every blood group can receive O- and thus it's always massively in demand).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    Yeah a lot of people are like that - would you if you could?
    Indeed I would. I wanted to when I was at uni. But having just been ill, they weren't sure if I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Yes about 5/6 times.

I haven't been for a while but I really should, especially as my blood group is O- (it's universal donor so every blood group can receive O- and thus it's always massively in demand).
    Oh wow - good job!

I should probably know my blood type but I do not
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Yes about 5/6 times.

Same! :five:

Yes, I've donated and will be donating again a week from now!

(Original post by PugDevil)
    As the title reads, have you given blood? My girlfriend went today for the first time and said she nearly fainted (although that was because she hadn't managed to eat enough as she was working just before.) I'm thinking of going in the future!

Will you be going in the future? Can you give blood? Are you put off doing so?
    No. I'd love to, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to.

ReputationRep:
    Ashen one of my grandchildren was born he had heart issues and had to be airlifted to hospital. Had to give blood for him.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I keep trying but it never works :sad:

The last time I tried, I failed due to iron count - I was 122 and they want 125.
    The time before they stuck the needle in at such a dodgy angle I ended up with bruises all over my outer elbow, and they didn't get it in the vein well enough to work.
    Before that I wasn't allowed for a long time because of some medication.
    The time before that I failed on iron, but don't know exact score.

They count me as being on 11 donations, though :proud:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a couple years ago, meaning to do it again but never get round to it. Also my blood is A- which isn't a universal donor and I don't think it's particularly in demand, not that that is any excuse for my laziness.*

ReputationRep:
    I've never been eligible because I don't weigh enough, though having looked at myself in the fitting room mirror at Topshop earlier I figure it won't be much longer now before I do :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I've never been eligible because I don't weigh enough, though having looked at myself in the fitting room mirror at Topshop earlier I figure it won't be much longer now before I do :P
    I also have this problem. I have low blood pressure too so I wouldn't be surprised if I fainted. I am hoping to bulk out a bit so I'll be able to give blood in future though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I was thinking about donating blood but I think with my medical problem I won't be allowed. I didn't realise there was a weight limit. What is the minimum weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pix2015)
    I was thinking about donating blood but I think with my medical problem I won't be allowed. I didn't realise there was a weight limit. What is the minimum weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apparently it is 7st 12lbs?

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-d...an-use-it.aspx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I really really want to but I don't weigh enough :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I would like to,for sure!

ReputationRep:
    I really, really want to but I'm not old enough until next year - I'm only 16 I think you have to be 17 or something? also I'm pretty sure I'll fail at least one of the tests as I'm pretty light and my blood doesn't have much iron in it haha
    However I think it's really important - you could help save someone's life! It's a similar thing to the organ donor register, which I believe has no age/weight limits.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I really really want to but I don't weigh enough :cry:
    Once you hit 21, I think they waiver the limit or has that changed?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.