Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished Year 10, and my school is putting a lot of pressure on me to decide which A-levels I'm taking. Trouble is, the A-levels are changing to become linear which means I don't have the full information about some of the subjects. I'm also very indecisive

Right, so I basically can't decide. I don't know yet what I'd like to do in the future, maybe something with languages? It would really help me if you guys could all share your knowledge and experience of the following subjects (all things I would consider doing):
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Goverment and Politics
    Chemistry
    Spanish
    Economics
    Music
    Accounting
    Physical Education
    Psychology
    (yes, that is how indecisive I am).

I am leaning towards doing Spanish, Economics, Maths and Further Maths/Psychology- which of course also brings up the debate of 3 or 4 a-levels. Since the system is changing, I can't pick 4 subjects then drop one- I have to either do 3 or 4. Any suggestions on that as well?
    (Note: I already have taken a Russian A-level (which I think I have passed), so another A-level isn't necessary, I just would rather study more subjects so it's more interesting)

So my questions in short are-
    What is your advice on choosing A-levels? Facilitating subjects, stuff you enjoy, stuff you're good at?
    What are your opinions on the subjects I might choose?
    And should I take 3 or 4 A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    maths, chemistry and spanish or further maths

ReputationRep:
    If you're good enough at maths then do further maths also

ReputationRep:
    I used to be indecisive. However I'm not so sure now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should choose subjects that you both enjoy studying and you're good at. Plus, it's better to have a decision on what careers you could possible do in the future so the subjects you have chosen relate to the chosen careers. I suggest if you're into languages then there will be no need for further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
    (Note: I already have taken a Russian A-level (which I think I have passed), so another A-level isn't necessary, I just would rather study more subjects so it's more interesting)
    Is Russian your native language? If so, universities might not count it as a separate A-level.

What is your advice on choosing A-levels? Facilitating subjects, stuff you enjoy, stuff you're good at?
    Do subjects you enjoy. Further Maths/Maths/Econ is a very strong combination and keeps many university courses open.

And should I take 3 or 4 A-levels?
    Depends completely on you - most universities ask for 3 grades for most courses.

You can take 4 in the beginning and drop one if you don't enjoy one/can't bear the workload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Is Russian your native language? If so, universities might not count it as a separate A-level.

Do subjects you enjoy. Further Maths/Maths/Econ is a very strong combination and keeps many university courses open.

Depends completely on you - most universities ask for 3 grades for most courses.

You can take 4 in the beginning and drop one if you don't enjoy one/can't bear the workload.
    Russian isn't my native language, so I think universities have no reason to discount it.
    Also, my clarification for my choices is this:
    Maths is my strongest subject and something I will enjoy. I might chose a joint Economics and Spanish; or Economics and Russian degree, and Maths can be very useful for that. Spanish of course will be useful for a language degree. I would take Further Maths only as a fourth A-level really, I don't want to just have all Maths based subjects. Also, I can't drop subjects midway through.
    Thank you guys for your replies so far. Personal experience would also be interesting to hear about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
    Russian isn't my native language, so I think universities have no reason to discount it.
    It will count as another A-level in that case, so it's good you did one early.

Maths is my strongest subject and something I will enjoy. I might chose a joint Economics and Spanish; or Economics and Russian degree, and Maths can be very useful for that. Spanish of course will be useful for a language degree. I would take Further Maths only as a fourth A-level really, I don't want to just have all Maths based subjects.
    It would make sense to take Further Mathematics if you're pursuing an Economics degree. M/FM/Econ/Spanish sounds like a good combination for you. Although realistically, you'll be fine if you do M/Econ/Spanish.

Also, I can't drop subjects midway through.
    Why not? If for some reason you feel like you don't enjoy one of your subjects won't your college let you drop it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)

Why not? If for some reason you feel like you don't enjoy one of your subjects won't your college let you drop it?
    Oh, sorry I meant I couldn't take 4 AS and then drop one for A level. Yes, I probably could drop one if I really didn't like it, but my worry isn't so much that I won't like it, I worry about the workload and over stretching myself by doing 4 A-levels

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think you should pick 3 and not 4 so you can focus on them and get amazingly high grades! Personally I couldn't cope with 4. However, Having a forth AS may be useful if you are in a tie-break situation on results day if you have borderline grades for your uni offer. But then again I don't think it would apply since the scheme of majority of A Levels are becoming linear. Good luck whatever you choose! Seems like yesterday since i chose my a levels!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    If all your subjects will be linear by 2017 and not by choice, then your school will either tell you to only pick 3 A-levels or pick 3 A-levels and 1 AS-level.

So I think you should understand what I said above and one more thing; have you found out which subjects will be in what option blocks already? If not then that's something to consider and will surely narrow down your choices and/or combinations. For example, Maths might be in the same option block as Psychology so you'd have to choose one. Or Spanish and Chemistry might be in the same option block.

I'm surprised they want you to pick your options so early. It should least be after Christmas so you get a better feel for your GCSE subjects, sheesh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireway10)
    I used to be indecisive. However I'm not so sure now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hilarious

ReputationRep:
    I would say definitely make sure you at least like the subjects you choose, as you will be spending many hours studying them! Obviously you should be good at them, so you can get high grades. Regarding facilitating A-Levels, bear them in mind, but they're not the be-all and end-all.

I would just add that I know from what my friend tells me that Music is very difficult. I found GCSE a challenge and I would find A Level impossible (I'm about grade 4/5 standard for piano). However, if you would be good at it and you're up for it, don't let me put you off.

I would recommend you only choose 3, as I did 4 at AS (will be doing 3 at A2 next year) and I found it not unmanageable, but difficult at times. Having 4 A Levels would be too hard I think and if you were to drop one at the end of a year, you'd have nothing to show for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    If all your subjects will be linear by 2017 and not by choice, then your school will either tell you to only pick 3 A-levels or pick 3 A-levels and 1 AS-level.

So I think you should understand what I said above and one more thing; have you found out which subjects will be in what option blocks already? If not then that's something to consider and will surely narrow down your choices and/or combinations. For example, Maths might be in the same option block as Psychology so you'd have to choose one. Or Spanish and Chemistry might be in the same option block.

I'm surprised they want you to pick your options so early. It should least be after Christmas so you get a better feel for your GCSE subjects, sheesh!
    It's not going to work like that at the college that I'm going to. They said they will allow some people to do 3 a-levels and some to do 4 if they get high GCSE results. They said they will be "changing their program to three subjects which the students which study for both years. A four a-level program will become available to some students dependant on GCSE results. "
    Also, we don't have option blocks. You can choose pretty much whatever subjects you want. I think it's because there are fewer lesson blocks so the timetable is more flexible.

ReputationRep:
    I took Spanish A level and found it quite difficult, especially remembering all the grammar. I also took music but if your school is with AQA and you're aiming for really high grades for say Oxbridge, I wouldn't recommend taking music (unless you want to do it at uni). Their marking of composition can be subjective and unpredictable. My AS one, wasn't amazing but even I thought it was at least worth a C (I'm pretty pessimistic about grades and things like that) and still don't understand why it got the low grade it did. But this is a common thing and I wasn't the only one last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Hilarious
    I'm here all week

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.