The Student Room Group

How to deal with racism?

How can I stop racism from affecting me? It affects me so bad that I am even reconsidering my dream of moving to Australia in the future because of how I have heard that they can be racist :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
How can I stop racism from affecting me? It affects me so bad that I am even reconsidering my dream of moving to Australia in the future because of how I have heard that they can be racist :frown:

because they can be racist, really.... Australia has loads of asian immigrants btw... So if you're English speaking I don't think you'd need to worry about that...

When you say it is affecting, do you mean directly, or as an issue? Either way, you won't escape racism in Australia although it is a lovely place to visit.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by ByEeek
When you say it is affecting, do you mean directly, or as an issue? Either way, you won't escape racism in Australia although it is a lovely place to visit.

Good luck!

I just see it as an issue, as I just kinda feel unwelcome if I move there...It is a lovely place, but I've only been there on holiday and didn't get to talk to that many Australians as most people were tourists.
Reply 4
Great topic. Everyone should be careful about racism. And keep all men into the same platform.
Well, compared to the UK, I have read that Race relations are not as good in Australia.

Having said that, the immigration level is very high over there, so I doubt you will experience a lot of problems.
Reply 6
Unfortunately you either suck it up or you dont go. You cant really make yourself immune to racism, its always going to hit deep and hit hard.
Most of the country will be fine with you, there are just small groups who think its appropriate to make a comment or what not. There are laws and such to detain and fine people who do or say things towards you. Although racism may seem to be higher in AUS is it really? The things on the news have grabbed your attention and the media often blows things out of proportion that it scares people.

I remember going on holiday to Miami a few years back, I was about 16 at the time. I was sh*tting myself that people would be horrible and racist, that the cops would come and have a go at me and that people would wave guns and tell me to go back or whatever. In truth, none of that happened, I made loads of friends, the police all said hi and smiled. I didnt see a gun once. I didnt feel threatened or unwelcome. Now obviously living abroad is completely different to going on a vacation, but it may not be as bad as it seems.

Anyhow good look
I just see it as an issue, as I just kinda feel unwelcome if I move there...It is a lovely place, but I've only been there on holiday and didn't get to talk to that many Australians as most people were tourists.

Why not pop to Cardiff. I did a 5 month contract there a few years ago and have never been so welcome. Lovely place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending