The Student Room Group

History and what other 2 please help???

Hello, I am going to study History as an A level and need 2 more "Softer" ones to go with it to maximise grades. I need AAB or ABB bottom line to study at University to be a Primary teacher. That is my chosen career. Has anyone any suggestions on other subjects that wouldn't be too hard to run with my History to maximise grades? I need History as my "core" subject and 2 others. Then, grades can be in any order. I've been told to consider the following.....RE, Politics, Sociology and even Maths. Regarding the maths, I am an A in GCSE Maths and a C in Further Maths. I am an A in GCSE History. So, please, has anyone any advice regarding the other 4 subjects mentioned....I need 2 from those 4. Can anyone rank them in terms of difficulty. A teacher told me, History 7, Politics 6, RE 5 and Sociology 4. Maths being an 8, but with private tutoring to help, was told Maths would be a refreshing break from the other very long answer, extended writing subjects.....? I want advice from anyone with experience please...this is make or break for me...I have to get it right...I need the best route to AAB or bottom line ABB, so if for example RE or Sociology is a "given B" I need to hear it! I haven't studied Politics or Sociology at GCSE but History teacher teaches them too and said they weren't too bad. I do GCSE RE and expected to get a B. Help please and thank you very much!!
(edited 7 years ago)
I did AS Politics- there's a LOT of content and you have to be really up to date on current affairs to use as examples in your essays, which can be tricky but if you're genuinely interested and motivated by politics you'll enjoy it. It's not the easiest though

I'd recommend psychology and sociology! I did psychology and as long as you have a good memory you'll do alright. Also it will look good when applying for education related uni courses since you learn things about developmental psychology as part of AS. I've heard that sociology is quite similar
Reply 2
Original post by musicisellipsis
I did AS Politics- there's a LOT of content and you have to be really up to date on current affairs to use as examples in your essays, which can be tricky but if you're genuinely interested and motivated by politics you'll enjoy it. It's not the easiest though

I'd recommend psychology and sociology! I did psychology and as long as you have a good memory you'll do alright. Also it will look good when applying for education related uni courses since you learn things about developmental psychology as part of AS. I've heard that sociology is quite similar

Thank you for reply. So perhaps History, Sociology and RE. According to the figures in our school its about 90% entrants over last 5 years have attained B or above?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I took A-Level History alongside English and Law. This was a really interesting set and they often complimented each other well. However it can be quite a lot of work.
Reply 4
That's the figures in RE a 90% rate of B grades and above.
Original post by jashami
Thank you for reply. So perhaps History, Sociology and RE. According to the figures in our school its about 90% entrants over last 5 years have attained B or above in RE. Would that be a good combination?
Do subjects that you enjoy ignore this idea of softer do academic subjects like geography,a language, bio etc.

Every subject is easy compared to chemistry,physics,maths
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
Do subjects that you enjoy ignore this idea of softer do academic subjects like geography,a language, bio etc.

Every subject is easy compared to chemistry,physics,maths

Thank you, to set this in context, it's in N.I. where the demand for places is ridiculous and applicants are all going with one core subject and 2 "softer" ones purely to maximise grades and try to get AAB or ABB. It's all down to fierce demand and they are all playing the system. Interestingly 84% of places get filled by females. Then there is an interview as well and you have to have golden extra curricular stuff for your application as well. Hence I need the, let's call it "easiest", or best route to AAB or ABB no matter what. It's all about the grades...no matter the subjects...
Reply 7
That said if you enjoy the subjects you will put more work in and be more engaged. E.g. wider reading and as such whilst it could technically be harder you would find it easier.

Quick Reply

Latest