Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my GCSE's and I want to go to Warwick after my A Levels. The thing is I wasn't predicted brilliant grades at my GCSE's but that was because I was too lazy and didn't work as hard as I should have. I think I will get mostly Bs and some As in my GCSE's. I have taken Accountancy, Economics, Maths and Physics at AS level, and I want to study economics at Warwick. I know I can get at least an AAB for my A levels. What are my chances of getting into Warwick, do you think they will take my GCSE's into consideration a lot, even if i get an AAB or AAA at A level?

Edit: Be harsh if you have to.

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly the same as you in year 11, it was all about having fun and I didn't really care about my grades!

I got an A*, a handful of As and a few Bs and Cs.

Then I got AAAA for AS in 4 solid subjects and an offer from Oxford. Warwick also accepted me, but LSE didn't. Apparently LSE consider GCSEs scores more than other top places.

So yeh, you better work hard this year and if you do you'll be fine. Warwick is a good choice! Check out MORSE course, you'd love it

ReputationRep:
    OMG THANKS! You just made me so happy I was so worried I thought I was screwed! Thank you so much, I will definitely check out the MORSE course and work my back side off for the next 2 years!

ReputationRep:
    You are far from screwed. Get your head down and work hard, then you'll be fine. They don't tend to look at GCSE's too much, unless they're presented with a really tough decision between several applicants. Then it comes down to the details.

ReputationRep:
    I got all Bs, C for art and an A for maths for my IGCSEs. Warwick still gave me an offer. Just work your bum off the next couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aza484)
    You are far from screwed. Get your head down and work hard, then you'll be fine. They don't tend to look at GCSE's too much, unless they're presented with a really tough decision between several applicants. Then it comes down to the details.
    :ditto: I got 0 A* and mostly B's. In my opinion the key to getting in is writing a great personal statement (I got that impression from my prospective department anyway) so the best advice I can give you is get yourself to an open day towards the end of year 12 and listen carefully to everything they say about personal statements, then go away and spend alot of time on it and make sure it is top quality. Pair this with some good predicted grades/AS levels are you are onto a winner Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardeep_21)
    I have just finished my GCSE's and I want to go to Warwick after my A Levels. The thing is I wasn't predicted brilliant grades at my GCSE's but that was because I was too lazy and didn't work as hard as I should have. I think I will get mostly Bs and some As in my GCSE's. I have taken Accountancy, Economics, Maths and Physics at AS level, and I want to study economics at Warwick. I know I can get at least an AAB for my A levels. What are my chances of getting into Warwick, do you think they will take my GCSE's into consideration a lot, even if i get an AAB or AAA at A level?

Edit: Be harsh if you have to.
    You are absolutely fine!! I did utterly rubbish at GCSE. I had like one A and 1 A* and like 3 Bs. I worked my ass off at A Level. If you show to them you've become dedicated, and have worked hard and you're focused you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    And unis always like signs of improvements as well. My IB grades were relatively low at the start of the year but they kept improving steadily. They seem to like that.

ReputationRep:
    No worries Hardeep - long as you work hard at your AS-Levels / A-Levels you will stand a realistic chance. You have chosen good subjects, ideally dropping Accountancy into year two unless you wish to carry all 4 forward.

LSE/UCL are known to be more stringent with GCSE grades, Warwick is not and nor should Oxbridge. And good choice picking Economics, it may change over the next year, but you're on the right track long as you work to get those As.

All the best :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, it's about achievement at a particular subject when it comes to university. I wasn't aware there was a requirement to be a well-rounded person.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys you've been really helpful, I really appreciate it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 23, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.