Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I'm talking to someone and I record the conversation then I let someone hear it like I don't post it on the Internet or anything is that breaking the law?? ( I live in the UK)

ReputationRep:
    it's legal to secretly record any conversation as long as at least one party gives consent, so in this case you

so no you're not breaking the law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farlan)
    it's legal to secretly record any conversation as long as at least one party gives consent, so in this case you

so no you're not breaking the law
    But what if ( this is just an example someone stoles something mine and I know who it is then I secretly record the conversation where this person is saying it was him /her and I go to the police an I give them the recorded conversation even if the person I recorded doesn't know is that still legal ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolas)
    But what if ( this is just an example someone stoles something mine and I know who it is then I secretly record the conversation where this person is saying it was him /her and I go to the police an I give them the recorded conversation even if the person I recorded doesn't know is that still legal ??
    well that would be handing in a confession of theft for starters. If you mean in a case where you record someone admitting it and none of the people involved in the conversation are aware, then that's illegal. In this scenario the police probably wouldn't give a **** if it's to catch them confessing to a crime but if you can get consent from one of the people involved to record it then sure.

It's a very minor offence really you'll only ever get in trouble for recording someone without their consent if you're recording something extremely private, which may play into voyeurism a little bit

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.