Turn on thread page Beta

Uni flats seem so expensive!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I mean my mothers 3 bed house costs £200 a month rent and some Uni flats cost £100 a week!!!!!

Is this some kind of joke????

How does a Uni student get enough money together to pay for this and shopping and other stuff???? I would be working more than I am learning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    I mean my mothers 3 bed house costs £200 a month rent and some Uni flats cost £100 a week!!!!!

How does a Uni student get enough money together to pay for this and shopping and other stuff???? I would be working more than I am learning!
    Usually uni flats include internet, heating, lighting and water - most rented accommodation doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Is your mother's house in Nigeria?*

ReputationRep:
    How the **** does a 3 bed house cost £200 a month? You mean a room in the house?

£100 a week is not unreasonable. Most uni flats have all the bills included in rent, that's water, electric, internet, gas (if applicable). Plus usually CCTV and security and such.

If it's too expensive people go into shared houses where they may pay £200-£300 a month with all bills included. Don't expect everything to be given to you.

I'm renting a flat privately and all the bills on top make it more expensive than the halls. And the flat is pretty cheap compared to other flats in the city. But I also work to cover what doesn't get covered by the loan

ReputationRep:
    My mum lives on a edgy estate that is why it is £200 a month.

ReputationRep:
    My mum lives on a edgy estate that is why it is £200 a month.
    Well considering where your mum lives, I would assume you would get a maximum maintenance loan amount. £100 per week is £5200 a year. Max maintenance loan is over £8000 a year. Don't see the problem...

You can't afford it, get a flat "on a edgy estate" and pay the £100 a month. If you even manage to find such a run down place.

Like I said before, if the students can't afford the uni housing they go for a room in a shared house which is cheaper
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It will depend on the university too, for my university city (northern england) £100 would get you a small studio flat, I paid £68 a week for my halls.

ReputationRep:
    tfw you paid £127 a week on rent. I'm now only paying only £100 for a student house but meh.

ReputationRep:
    You have to understand £200 a month is incredibly cheap and not the norm.

You can find cheaper places to live for uni, but that means going into private house shares usally. Which most people don't do until second year.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't afford it then you don't deserve to go.

ReputationRep:

£200 per month is ridiculously low, and it's certainly not the norm, and £100 is the standard for student accommodation. Bear in mind that the figure includes services - so your water, WiFi and electricity is included for that cost, along with security, cleaning and other facilities. £100 seems to be the average and you'll probably be able to get cheaper accommodation - conversely, you can also get much, much more expensive accommodation. I'm presuming that you're getting the maximum maintenance loan, or close to that, so that should easily cover your accommodation and living expenses, providing you manage your finances carefully. If you don't get the maximum loan, you may struggle though.

ReputationRep:
    £200 a month? Oh wow that's cheap.

When I went to Bristol the most expensive room I saw was £187 a week or something :/

ReputationRep:
    £200 a month?!!

My halls accommodation in first year was £155 a week. And a shared house room was £350 a month (which was cheap compared to others). :erm:

ReputationRep:
    My halls were £57 a week

ReputationRep:
    My halls are gonna be £61.59

Wouldn't wanna pay £100...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    My halls were £125 a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    My halls were £57 a week
    How!? And where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    How!? And where?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Swansea university in 2007 haha sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Is your mother's house in Nigeria?*
    Rude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevey396)
    If you can't afford it then you don't deserve to go.
    This is bull

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.