The Student Room Group

Please help introduce proportional representation, instead of first past the post.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
But it doesn't stop tactical voting as the second vote goes to the party etc.

This also means some people's votes count for more than other people's votes

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't need second votes.
Just straight PR. That way all votes count equally. It stops tactical voting and gerry mandering.
Original post by Bornblue
We don't need second votes.
Just straight PR. That way all votes count equally. It stops tactical voting and gerry mandering.

If we do that people don't choose their local mp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
If we do that people don't choose their local mp

Posted from TSR Mobile

Local MPs are a bit tokenistic. It's the concil who have real local power.

I just done get why people are opposed to a proportional system that would actually represent the vote of the public.
Original post by Bornblue
Local MPs are a bit tokenistic. It's the concil who have real local power.

I just done get why people are opposed to a proportional system that would actually represent the vote of the public.

Well I've given you the different reasons for the different systems already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's an excellent idea, I feel, just from the perspective of eliminating tactics and making each election more democratic. I also feel, though correct me if I'm wrong, that it would act as a filter which allowed the best ideas and policies to be picked and to start being out into practice, rather than party political dogma meaning a set inflexible group of policies take hold. I think it just seems more grown up as a system. There's already too much of a braying, punch and judy party political freak show and it doesn't result in the best outcomes for policies.

I feel this is another of those issues where some people will be determined stuck in the muds because of their instinctive conservatism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending