The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

I have just seen an interesting comparison between a katana and a German longsword in which the last one was able to cut through the katana in contrast to katana. I'm surprised. Is that supposed to mean that German knights had a better weapon than samurais?
Original post by Kallisto
I have just seen an interesting comparison between a katana and a German longsword in which the last one was able to cut through the katana in contrast to katana. I'm surprised. Is that supposed to mean that German knights had the a better weapon than samurais?

I dunno. The long sword is far heavier. You could doubtless break a katana with a sledgehammer but that doesn't mean you could win a fight with one. The Katana is made in a way that leaves brittle but extremely sharp steel down the cutting edge and softer less brittle steel in the rest of the blade as a way of getting a razor sharp sword that isn't so brittle. Its a more advanced sword making technique than we had in Europe as far as I know. The Damascus blade is an interesting one. I hear some people think that forging process had by chance created carbon nano tubes.
Original post by green.tea
x

As we are talking a lot about samurais, ninjas and swords yet, I would only love to know if Japanese are so polite how I have heard. They should be so polite that they still use appropriate appellations like -chan, -kun, --sama, -sensei and so on today. Is that right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
As we are talking a lot about samurais, ninjas and swords yet, I would only love to know if Japanese are so polite how I have heard. They should be so polite that they still use appropriate appellations like -chan, -kun, -sama, sensei and so on today. Is that right?

Yes it is.
I'm just interest in Japanese color woodcut. As far as I can see Japanese use print made of wood, add colors to it and then the print is put on paper. I'm keen on which techniques Japanese used to create nice pictures.
Reply 2185
Has anybody here who has lived in Japan seen any nasty bugs? I love Japan but the bug problem is really putting me off from visiting the country. I piss myself just from the tiny spiders here in the UK. I just want to know how often people see them.
[Tried posting in Japanese. The bloody diamonds just ruined it. Never mind, nobody wants to talk in Japanese here anyway.]
Original post by Jinpachi
Has anybody here who has lived in Japan seen any nasty bugs? I love Japan but the bug problem is really putting me off from visiting the country. I piss myself just from the tiny spiders here in the UK. I just want to know how often people see them.

I hear they give special visas to people who apply to go on Japanese game shows.
Original post by Sapientia
[Tried posting in Japanese. The bloody diamonds just ruined it. Never mind, nobody wants to talk in Japanese here anyway.]

Could try typing it in romaji.

watashi wa nihongo ga sukoshi wakarimasu
Reply 2189

What bug problem?
Reply 2190
Original post by Azimuth
What bug problem?

There are loads of videos on Youtube where people show house spiders the size of human hands but spiders are nothing compared to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmySxInjkw

I thought it was well known that Japan was insect infested.
Reply 2191
There are loads of videos on Youtube where people show house spiders the size of human hands but spiders are nothing compared to this

I guess it's to be expected in an environment like that... bugs love humidity! It wasn't that bad when I went in October, but I think it can get pretty freaky when it's warm.
Reply 2192
Original post by Paramore<3
I guess it's to be expected in an environment like that... bugs love humidity! It wasn't that bad when I went in October, but I think it can get pretty freaky when it's warm.

I thought this at first too but in Hokkaido were the weather is a lot colder but I have heard from several people living in Japan that Spiders there can be 4-5 inches.

Also recently a kid died from a poisonous bite in a park at island city and they found a nest with 8 thousands black widow spiders and 4000 eggs.

キモイ。

あいつの発音もキモイ
Reply 2194

Not clicking that ever, but there aren't really any particularly bad insects in Tokyo at least. I saw a big spider on a wall at a temple in Kamakura once, but outside of that I haven't seen anything.

There's probably stuff in the countryside, but probably not much worse than what we have here. I don't know, I've never really thought of Japan as having lots of objectionable insects.
Reply 2195
I thought this at first too but in Hokkaido were the weather is a lot colder but I have heard from several people living in Japan that Spiders there can be 4-5 inches.

Also recently a kid died from a poisonous bite in a park at island city and they found a nest with 8 thousands black widow spiders and 4000 eggs.

Fair point... ugh, *shudder*. It's one of the things properly putting me off ever living there! Worst thing that could ever happen to me, my bug phobia is beyond anything.
Reply 2196
Original post by Paramore<3
Fair point... ugh, *shudder*. It's one of the things properly putting me off ever living there! Worst thing that could ever happen to me, my bug phobia is beyond anything.

I guess with this sort of thing ignorance is bliss lol I have a bad phobia of spiders but I think I would be doing myself a great disservice if I let it stop my goal of going to Japan.
はじみまして みっな さん:) am i right?
Reply 2198
I believe the japanese culture is very nice especially the traditional manners of the people really resemble my teachings and personal morals as well as parts of my religion. I also hope to one day move out to that part of the world be it japan or any other far east country...

the boy must have done something to it, because spiders dont bite without a reason..spiders are harmless creatures provided you.leave them alone in peace in fact even the most venomous spider is rendered harmless if you leave it alone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending