The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2360
Original post by Kallisto
I have just read a comment by a girl who has two nationalities, namely the British and the Japanese one. She wrote too that she has to decide which nationality she takes after the age of 21 due to Japanese law. Why Japanese law doesn't accept two or more nationalities? I would love to know the reason.

I think Kallisto you are referring to the thread Re: What nationality are you? but this might help :-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_nationality_law
(edited 10 years ago)
I have just read a comment by a girl who has two nationalities, namely the British and the Japanese one. She wrote too that she has to decide which nationality she takes after the age of 21 due to Japanese law. Why Japanese law doesn't accept two or more nationalities? I would love to know the reason.

My guess would be it's probably something to do with the ingrained sense of "Japaneseness" in Japanese culture. The idea that, forgive the repetition, being Japanese is a state of being and you either are Japanese, or you are not.

The idea of having dual-citizenship somewhat muddies the situation of who is 'truly' Japanese.

That would be my speculation, but there are increasing grumbles from people in both the Diet and public about rectifying this law.

In actuality, there are many people who continue to hold dual nationalities beyond the age of 21 and immigration are not super-strict about enforcing this law. However, the fact that it still remains law means that traveling in and out of Japan is very risky for people who are unsure where they will spend a lot of time in the future. (in Japan or in their other country of citizenship).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sumo73
I think Kallisto you are referring to the thread Re: What nationality are you?(...)

Yeah, that was the thread which I meant.

Original post by atheistwithfaith
(...)
The idea of having dual-citizenship somewhat muddies the situation of who is 'truly' Japanese.
That would be my speculation, but there are increasing crumbles from people in both the Diet and public about rectifying this law.
(...)

In other words: Japan is a very proud nation which want to keep pedigree Japanese people both in and out of Japan. No matter what you say: this law is obsolete and racist. The times in which Japan believed in superiority towards other nations of Asia (and the world) are over. This law is a remnant of this time. In my opinion no country in the whole world has the right to fix the nationality of (Japanese) people, especially I consider it is out of Japan.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by missjessd
I've been studying Japanese for 4 years, I would say that I am between N2 and N1. It would be very very difficult (although I wouldn't say impossible) to be N1 level in 3 years. It will take an immense amount of daily dedication, mostly on reading (so kanji, and grammar are best to focus on to pass the test) ganbare!

ALT work is a popular choice, and being able to speak Japanese is a bonus. If you get to N1 level, you'd be able to do translation work, which pays a lot :smile: My advice is to let your studies guide you to the area of Japanese studies that you'll become interested in, and eventually find work in that area. Good luck :smile:

Thanks, I appreciate it :smile:

Speaking Japanese as an ALT is optional?! That was surprising. I did some searching and apparently so... you can teach English in Japanese schools without knowing how to speak Japanese D: I suppose it would be fine during elementary school, but at junior and senior high, having lessons taught entirely in English may be asking a bit much from the students IMO. I found this ALT's site quite interesting http://lostteacherinjapan.weebly.com/

In any case, I'll definitely take your advice. I want to let my interests direct my learning, which hopefully direct me to good work opportunities. Thanks again for the insight.
Original post by Fan service
Thanks, I appreciate it :smile:

Speaking Japanese as an ALT is optional?! That was surprising. I did some searching and apparently so... you can teach English in Japanese schools without knowing how to speak Japanese D: I suppose it would be fine during elementary school, but at junior and senior high, having lessons taught entirely in English may be asking a bit much from the students IMO. I found this ALT's site quite interesting http://lostteacherinjapan.weebly.com/

In any case, I'll definitely take your advice. I want to let my interests direct my learning, which hopefully direct me to good work opportunities. Thanks again for the insight.

In elementary school you usually teach alone but in junior and senior high school you will almost always teach with a Japanese teacher of English. In junior high school you ALWAYS teach with another teacher. At high school, there is always another teacher in the classroom but sometimes they will sit back and let you teach by yourself.
The Japanese law is always on my mind. And I consider what will happen under certain circumstances. Let's say, just hypothetically, there is a Japanese who is 20 years old and left Japan (who has the only nationality) in the same age and moved to England for instance. Then he lives over eight years there and he wants to acquire the English citizenship, he is 28 years old by now. Is it still possible for Japanese embassy to intervene?
Reply 2366
Hello everyone, I am a student studying for an MSc in Environmental studies at Manchester. I am looking to complete a research project revolved around comparing the differences in opinions on nuclear power between people from the UK and people from Japan. All respondants must be between the age of 16-25. I was wandering if anyone could tell me the best way in which to generate Japanese responses? Also if anyone would like to help me out and fill out my survey I would be very grateful. The survey can be found at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/98PK7ZY

But also I think this is an opportunity to start an interesting debate about Nuclear power in Japan.
Do you think it is safe?
Do you think it is a good option for the future?
Do you think it is a better option than renewables? ...its certainly cheaper, and uses less space but there are also so many negatives...links with warfare, nuclear waste, health and safety problems, the fact that fossil fuels are still used to generate nuclear power

These are all the sorts of questions that can be answered in my survey and any help/general discussion on these matters will be both interesting and helpful.

Thank you
In elementary school you usually teach alone but in junior and senior high school you will almost always teach with a Japanese teacher of English. In junior high school you ALWAYS teach with another teacher. At high school, there is always another teacher in the classroom but sometimes they will sit back and let you teach by yourself.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

Original post by alik555
Hello everyone, I am a student studying for an MSc in Environmental studies at Manchester. I am looking to complete a research project revolved around comparing the differences in opinions on nuclear power between people from the UK and people from Japan. All respondants must be between the age of 16-25. I was wandering if anyone could tell me the best way in which to generate Japanese responses? Also if anyone would like to help me out and fill out my survey I would be very grateful. The survey can be found at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/98PK7ZY

But also I think this is an opportunity to start an interesting debate about Nuclear power in Japan.
Do you think it is safe?
Do you think it is a good option for the future?
Do you think it is a better option than renewables? ...its certainly cheaper, and uses less space but there are also so many negatives...links with warfare, nuclear waste, health and safety problems, the fact that fossil fuels are still used to generate nuclear power

These are all the sorts of questions that can be answered in my survey and any help/general discussion on these matters will be both interesting and helpful.

Thank you

I would drop by http://forum.koohii.com/viewforum.php?id=8, lots of Brits situated in Japan with native Japanese friends. Others may be willing to spread the survey around :smile:
The Japanese law is always on my mind. And I consider what will happen under certain circumstances. Let's say, just hypothetically, there is a Japanese who is 20 years old and left Japan (who has the only nationality) in the same age and moved to England for instance. Then he lives over eight years there and he wants to acquire the English citizenship, he is 28 years old by now. Is it still possible for Japanese embassy to intervene?

Not really no. He can apply for citizenship and if he passes the checks and measures then he will get English citizenship. At that point, they will hold both English and Japanese passports. I expect that the English Home Office will say they have a certain grace period before they should renounce their Japanese citizenship. But this will just be advice I suspect and the Home Office would not follow up on issues to do with another countries citizenship.

If the Japanese Embassy or some other Japanese body dealing with citizenship found out about this they could threaten to withhold that persons citizenship unless they renounce their English citizenship.
(...) If the Japanese Embassy or some other Japanese body dealing with citizenship found out about this they could threaten to withhold that persons citizenship unless they renounce their English citizenship.

And what do you think about that? as far as I know its allowed in many countries to take a multi citizenship. I stick to it: in my point of view the law is conservative.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2370
And what do you think about that? as far as I know its allowed in many countries to take a multi citizenship. I stick to it: in my point of view the law is conservative.

You may think the law is conservative but it is the law of the land and has at least changed over time and will change in the future especially as the country is getting more foreigners coming to it and living there.

If you go back not too long ago in Japan, I believe that you had to change your surname to a Japanese one if you wanted to become a nationalised citizen and if you were of Korean ancestry you had to carry id with you with your thumb print on it. I’m glad both these things have changed.

Let's not single Japan out unfairly as I know of other countries (Norway, China, Germany..) that will only accept and issue one passport ‘generally’ and there are advantages to having just one passport as well.

Going back to your earlier point about someone who was half British and half Japanese from another post, no passport will ever change their ethnicity and for me ethnicity or ethnic make up is more important than nationality. For example there are many third and fourth generation Brazilian Japanese who are very proud of being Japanese and yet they don’t have a Japanese passport.

Just because someone doesn't have a Japanese passport doesn't stop them from calling themselves Japanese or part Japanese.

(edited 10 years ago)

I think its a shame for those people caught between the cracks but I don't really think it is that terrible. Being a citizen of a country affords you certain benefits that non-nationals do not get. I think it's fair that a country draws a line regarding what it expects of you if you wish to hold citizenship. Where that line should be drawn is open for debate.

As the previous poster said, Japan is evolving (though slowly) all the time and many of the conservative throwbacks from when Japan was not as "international" as it is now, are being challenged. Although Japan is still almost homogenous, year-on-year more and more foreign nationals are settling there and more mixed marriages are occurring. It's almost inevitable that in the future pressure will be placed on the government and things will change. At the moment, there is no real pressure and so no incentive for politicians to chase this issue.
Original post by sumo73
(...)
If you go back not too long ago in Japan, I believe that you had to change your surname to a Japanese one if you wanted to become a nationalised citizen and if you were of Korean ancestry you had to carry id with you with your thumb print on it. I’m glad both these things have changed.
(...)

Really? that is a horrible imagination! do I have this right that I would have to give my German surname up and to accept a Japanese replacement, if I would have to take a Japanese citizenship? I'm glad too that this rule in the Japanese law was abolished.

All in all I agree to your comment, especially the part of ethnicity. No matter what nationality is written in my passport, it cannot replace my true ancestry. You have convinced me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Really? that is a horrible imagination! do I have this right that I would have to give my German surname up and to accept a Japanese replacement, if I would have to take a Japanese citizenship? I'm glad too that this rule in the Japanese law was abolished.

All in all I agree to your comment, especially the part of ethnicity. No matter what nationality is written in my passport, it cannot replace my true ancestry. You have convinced me.

I think that changing your name is a pretty common thing to do when you change nationality ...
My mom and her entire family did it when they gave up the Italian nationality to become French (so my mom changed from being called Gaetana to Gaëtane), my Iraqi friend did that as well (from Adil to Adrien), Chinese people usually do that as well, etc ... it's actually just easier this way. Doesn't mean they can't be called like this by their family and friends though, it's just administrative stuff :smile:
(...) As the previous poster said, Japan is evolving (though slowly) all the time and many of the conservative throwbacks from when Japan was not as "international" as it is now, are being challenged. Although Japan is still almost homogenous, year-on-year more and more foreign nationals are settling there and more mixed marriages are occurring. It's almost inevitable that in the future pressure will be placed on the government and things will change. At the moment, there is no real pressure and so no incentive for politicians to chase this issue.

From this point of view I must admit that I was wrong to Japan. I didn't know the changes in Japan. So I take my view about the island country back. Japan is less conservative than I thought.
From this point of view I must admit that I was wrong to Japan. I didn't know the changes in Japan. So I take my view about the island country back. Japan is less conservative than I thought.

Don't just take my word for it! You should do some research on the internet if you are interested.
Original post by Azimuth
I passed N1 3.5 years after starting learning Japanese. I think that the level of N1 is heavily overestimated. I would call it intermediate level.

I've passed N1 too. I can also agree that it is more of an intermediate level. It does not mean you can just jump into reading novels/newspapers without any hitch. Also it does not test your speaking/writing at all.
Reply 2377
In other words: Japan is a very proud nation which want to keep pedigree Japanese people both in and out of Japan. No matter what you say: this law is obsolete and racist. The times in which Japan believed in superiority towards other nations of Asia (and the world) are over. This law is a remnant of this time. In my opinion no country in the whole world has the right to fix the nationality of (Japanese) people, especially I consider it is out of Japan.

Japan is nothing like that. And you have it backwards - Japan doesn't care what Japanese nationals do with regards to citizenship of other countries. They just don't recognise multiple citizenship within their own borders and will require foreign nationals to renounce their other citizenship(s) when naturalising as a Japanese citizen.

Btw, here's a list of countries that don't recognise multiple citizenship, like Japan:

Andorra, Austria, Azerbaijan ,Burma, Bahrain, Botswana, Japan, China ,Czech Republic, Denmark, Fiji,India,Indonesia, Ecuador, Estonia, Iran, Poland, Papua New Guinea, Brunei, Japan, Peru, Kuwait , Kenya, Kazakhstan, Chile, Kiribati, Poland, Korea, Kuwait, Denmark, Latvia,Singapore, Slovakia, Ecuador, Lithuania, Solomon Islands ,Fiji ,Malaysia, Mauritius, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Romania, Thailand, Mexico, Nepal, Venezuela, Norway, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nepal

Original post by Sapientia
I've passed N1 too. I can also agree that it is more of an intermediate level. It does not mean you can just jump into reading novels/newspapers without any hitch. Also it does not test your speaking/writing at all.

Can't remember if I knew that already, but anyway, congratulations!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2378
Hi! Sorry for being off topic but can anybody explain something to me? Genki 1 teaches you that you have to say 日曜日に東京に行きます。But they use the particle instead of throughout the rest of the book (日曜日は). I've even been corrected on lang-8. A bit confused here. Thanks!
On the issue of citizenship, I don't see it as the want for an homogenous society. I'm sure in Japan's case that has something to do with it but I see it as the protection of one's interests. If I'm a citizen of the UK and Japan and for some reason a dispute between the two countries that could affect national security, how would they know which side my allegiances are with? Of course you don't know that anyway. Just because you're a citizen of a country doesn't mean you have to support that country.

Anyway, renunciation of British citizenship doesn't mean you can't get it back.

Quick Reply

Latest