The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ash S
Oooh ICU! Good uni :biggrin:
Just thought of some more practical advice: if you're gonna get the national health insurance (国民健康保険) then make sure you get all the discounts you can get as an international student with no income in Japan in the past year. I didn't know and I ended up paying way more than some people lol T_T

You can get discounts? *_* Good to know!
On the upside, I'm fairly certain that you can claim the insurance back from Student Finance as a 'necessary cost' ~
Reply 2721
Finally got the A I needed in A level Japanese - ended up being 1 mark off an A*!
Hope everyone that got Japanese A level results today, and GCSEs next week, are happy with their grade. :smile:
Original post by BWCW
Finally got the A I needed in A level Japanese - ended up being 1 mark off an A*!
Hope everyone that got Japanese A level results today, and GCSEs next week, are happy with their grade. :smile:

You're off to Cambridge! Congratulations :biggrin:
Reply 2723
Original post by TheTechN1304
You're off to Cambridge! Congratulations :biggrin:

Yes, yippee! Thank you so much. :smile: How did it all go for you?
Original post by BWCW
Yes, yippee! Thank you so much. :smile: How did it all go for you?

It went great, thanks. I got my 4 As (one in japanese!) so I'm really happy!!
Reply 2725

Excellent - as if it was going to be anything else! Still, congratulations. An A first time round is no mean feat. :biggrin: Those uni applications should be in the bag then!
Original post by BWCW

おめでとう!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2727
Original post by C0balt
Heey
え、もう終わちゃったの!?
最近私はダラダラしてるだけです...

Posted from TSR Mobile

1年間の交換留学だったけどあっという間に終わっちゃった...全然一年経った気がしない(´・ω・`)
まあ、8月になる前に帰れたのをうれしく思うべきかもしれんなw
真夏でもせいぜい25度くらいしかならないイギリスにいると、日本の夏のあの蒸し暑さを想像できなくなるww
フランスの夏はどんな感じなん?
Original post by Ash S
1年間の交換留学だったけどあっという間に終わっちゃった...全然一年経った気がしない(´・ω・`)
まあ、8月になる前に帰れたのをうれしく思うべきかもしれんなw
真夏でもせいぜい25度くらいしかならないイギリスにいると、日本の夏のあの蒸し暑さを想像できなくなるww
フランスの夏はどんな感じなん?

場所によって違うけど今日は私が住んでるとこでは18度しかないよ!南の方は30度以上とかも行くけど

もう三年日本の蒸し暑さ感じてないな。一年に一度帰るけどいつも年末を選んでる....暑いの嫌です:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone here mind translating some manga for me ? :eyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2730
Original post by C0balt
場所によって違うけど今日は私が住んでるとこでは18度しかないよ!南の方は30度以上とかも行くけど

もう三年日本の蒸し暑さ感じてないな。一年に一度帰るけどいつも年末を選んでる....暑いの嫌です:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

フランスいいなあ(笑)
オレも暑いの嫌だよな。日本にいたときは駅から大学まで歩くだけで、もう汗でシャツが背中に張り付いて気持ち悪かったww
Original post by Ash S
フランスいいなあ(笑)
オレも暑いの嫌だよな。日本にいたときは駅から大学まで歩くだけで、もう汗でシャツが背中に張り付いて気持ち悪かったww

今夜はシャワーから出たら寒くて震えるくらいだった:no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really want to learn Japanese. I know some phrases from years of watch anime but that's about it :lol: Does anyone know any good free websites for learning Japanese?

I think I might be going to Japan for the first time ever next year - looking forward to seeing the brilliant culture there '^'
Reply 2733
Anyone else take JLPT in Japan? You can check your results on the website now :smile:
I got JASSO!
うわー!明日、留学が始まります!ワクワク
Original post by VickyDoodle
I got JASSO!
うわー!明日、留学が始まります!ワクワク

楽しんで来て!幸運を
Reply 2736
Original post by VickyDoodle
I got JASSO!
うわー!明日、留学が始まります!ワクワク

おおお!おめでとう! 楽しんできてな(/・ω・)/
Reply 2737
heya fellow society members. I've just finished learning hiragana, katakana and all the radicals in kanji.

what do you think my next move should be?

my goal is to one day work and live in japan (as many people here probably do) I've loved the Japanese culture since I was a kid, I often dreamed about working in Japan and it gave me the best feelings imaginable. I've researched fully into my field in japan, it doesn't pay well and the hours are long - but it's in demand! as long as I'm wanted I will attempt to pursue a real career there and start a family. even though I can earn almost 2-3x by staying in England, its just money in the end. i'd rather have a crap car and small house in japan than a nice car and decent house in england

sorry about the rant, so yeah, what do you think my next move should be in learning the language? I'm really serious about this and I've been studying all day for a few days now
(edited 9 years ago)
こんにちわ皆さん!

私も学生の日本語です。

I have been studying Japanese for around 2 years, (admittely on and off for the first year) but i have been learning independantly for the most part.
Last year i went to a class in Uni. - Japanese Beginners 1.
Although it was useful for learning the alphabet and phrases i found that getting taught out of textbooks such as 'Genki' only teaches you the polite forms which, when talking to a native Japanese speaker, can sound unnatural (not the case all the time however).

I then found 'Tae Kim's guide to Japanese' - This FREE online book written by a Japanese learner teaches you Japanese from scratch. It builds up bit by bit, each new lesson building on the previous. There are Youtube videos and a facebook group so any questions/problems can be sorted out almost instantly.

There are two books in fact, the complete guide to Japanese and the Grammar guide.
If you are new to learning Japanese / have been learning for a yar or less then start with the complete guide and then move onto the grammar guide if you want to know why some things are how they are in 本語.

If you are serious about learning Japanese / living in Japan this is for you. It teaches you everything you need to know in bitesize chunks,
although throughout summer i was doing two/ three chapters a day.

I, myself, am half Japanese and grew up there for the first few years of my life and, although i spoke some japanese, it was lost as i began school in the UK as i had almost no exposure to Japanese.
Living in Japan can induce massive culture shock, from the language to the food. I would recommend researching and exposing yourself to Japanese culture so you have a deeper understanding of the country. (This does not mean binge anime on netflix btw.. )

Another incredibly useful site when you start reading and writing proficiently is Lang-8, it is basically an online journal but other users can correct your post and give you feedback. Extremely useful if you are not friendly to native Japanese speakers.

I hope that you check these out and find them as useful as i do!
Good luck.

LINKS:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/

http://lang-8.com/
I love fairy tale especially gary fullbuster :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending