The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quixote.

Sounds good! Self-studying for exams like this can be a nightmare, what with the limited resources and lack of other people ask questions to. So i'd be glad for somebody to bounce ideas off!

Yeah, the markscheme for the A2 essays is throwing me off and I have no clue where I stand right now (QAQ) and don't even get me started on the English to Japanese! Do you and @rayestar want to PM me with your facebooks (I don't want to presume you both have whatsapp) and we can create a group? What are your A2 topics, btw? I'm doing the standard Hana and Duke combination :biggrin:
Original post by roarchika
Yeah, the markscheme for the A2 essays is throwing me off and I have no clue where I stand right now (QAQ) and don't even get me started on the English to Japanese! Do you and @rayestar want to PM me with your facebooks (I don't want to presume you both have whatsapp) and we can create a group? What are your A2 topics, btw? I'm doing the standard Hana and Duke combination :biggrin:

The English to Japanese is tough right? I'm a little confused as to whether there are any guidelines for the kanji/vocab that they might use in that section, because the mark schemes definitely don't stick to the kanji lists.

I've been doing Hana and Duke too. But tbh, I think i'll be sticking to the culture topics!

I'll pm you!
The English to Japanese is tough right? I'm a little confused as to whether there are any guidelines for the kanji/vocab that they might use in that section, because the mark schemes definitely don't stick to the kanji lists.

I've been doing Hana and Duke too. But tbh, I think i'll be sticking to the culture topics!

I'll pm you!

I've just been guessing madly - I know that they encourage "working around" words you don't know, which is nice, but....
Ugh, at least it's only 10 marks??? I've been getting 7-8, so I might call it quits there and focus on full-scoring the comprehension and getting as high as I can on the essays.

Ah, have you lived in Japan before then? Or did you study 4 topics? :biggrin:
I've just been guessing madly - I know that they encourage "working around" words you don't know, which is nice, but....
Ugh, at least it's only 10 marks??? I've been getting 7-8, so I might call it quits there and focus on full-scoring the comprehension and getting as high as I can on the essays.

Ah, have you lived in Japan before then? Or did you study 4 topics? :biggrin:

I think i'll be going for the same method! Unlike the AS translation which sticks to the specification, the A2 one seems difficult to prepare for.

I've studied all of the topics briefly, until you just mentioned it I didn't realise how unnecessary that was :lol: But i've focused mainly on the culture topics as, personally, they seem a little easier to get to grips with.

I did live in Japan for a while, so i'm hoping that'll help me out. I'm relying on personal experience to a certain extent, as i've not really had anybody to advise me on what to study!
No posts in a while, but is anybody sitting the Japanese AS/A-level exams? Or the JLPT or anything?

I'm sitting the AS and A-level papers this summer.

I'm going to take the JLPT N2 in July.
I think i'll be going for the same method! Unlike the AS translation which sticks to the specification, the A2 one seems difficult to prepare for.

I've studied all of the topics briefly, until you just mentioned it I didn't realise how unnecessary that was :lol: But i've focused mainly on the culture topics as, personally, they seem a little easier to get to grips with.

I did live in Japan for a while, so i'm hoping that'll help me out. I'm relying on personal experience to a certain extent, as i've not really had anybody to advise me on what to study!

Ahhh you've just reminded me how long it's been since I've done an AS paper >-< I've been ignoring it ever since December in favour of trying to get to grips with the A2 content. I'll have to make sure to do a mock for one this holiday!

Wow, that's seriously incredible! When did you even have the time to do that?? It means that you'll have a far greater option when it comes to choosing your essay topics, though :biggrin: Have you had a look at the examiner reports? I found them helpful in informing me what to focus on, and the example essays provided were actually pretty useful. I wish there was a clearer markscheme, though....
Reply 3086
Hi, honest opinion, when is the best time to learn the language? Would it be in the summer after year 12, which I am currently in, or in university?
x

I've looked at a couple of the examiner reports in the past, but i'll definitely check out more of them! It hadn't even occurred to me how useful the example essays could be. I feel stupid for overlooking them!

I wasn't in college or university or anything this time a couple of years ago, and was toying with the idea of returning to university to study languages. But I decided to go and experience living in Japan for a while before jumping into it, just to make sure!

My time in Japan confirmed for me that I want to study languages, and not only that, but that I would love to have the option available to move abroad to work in the future. I've accepted an offer from Cardiff University, so if all goes to plan with the A-level... !

Original post by miser
I'm going to take the JLPT N2 in July.

Awesome! How's your preparation going?

I've never sat the JLPT myself.
Awesome! How's your preparation going?

I've never sat the JLPT myself.

I go to Japanese language school so I'm just following the lessons there. When it comes closer to the time I'll review some vocabulary and N2 grammar points.

I also haven't taken JLPT before since in my opinion they aren't very useful until N2, which can help you get a job in Japan.
....did I ever reply to your last text....? (winces)

YES! I'm also sitting both AS and A2 - can we create a whatsapp/facebook/revision group or something?? I'd be more than happy to swap resources and tips, since there are so few of us around!

lol no, it's been ages since i sent u the last txt :colonhash:
Original post by rayestar
lol no, it's been ages since i sent u the last txt :colonhash:

.......How much grovelling do i need to do to be forgiven (I'm so freaking sorry oh my god)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello! I'll be your fresh meat to this society this evening :biggrin: I am extremely rusty with the language at this current moment, I haven't studied it properly in years. I did the JLPT N5 all the way back in 2010 and I have a feeling that was when I let it all slip. I'd like to think all of the important things stuck though! Although I have always been terrible at Kanji. Even for the N5 I mostly fluked it :redface:

I very, very much want to get back into it now though and look at N4 and beyond.

I'm from South Wales, near Cardiff and Newport. I had no idea Cardiff Uni did Japanese at the time I applied so I missed out there and am doing a completely different course! Oh well...

I've looked at a couple of the examiner reports in the past, but i'll definitely check out more of them! It hadn't even occurred to me how useful the example essays could be. I feel stupid for overlooking them!

I wasn't in college or university or anything this time a couple of years ago, and was toying with the idea of returning to university to study languages. But I decided to go and experience living in Japan for a while before jumping into it, just to make sure!

My time in Japan confirmed for me that I want to study languages, and not only that, but that I would love to have the option available to move abroad to work in the future. I've accepted an offer from Cardiff University, so if all goes to plan with the A-level... !

Think you'll want to keep it to Japan or would you experiment with other potential countries of the world to work in? :biggrin:

And that's awesome! I don't go to Cardiff Uni myself but I do live around there. So if you ever felt the urge to make a study group or club or something, well you know one person here who would definitely be in to improve his Japanese :biggrin:
みなさん、こんにちは。
私は Arisky/Aryan です。日本語お勉強しています。私はロシア市民ですが、私の父は東京に住んでいます, 私は英国, ロシア、日本の間を頻繁に行きます!どうぞよろしく。

Hello everyone!
My name is Arisky, or Aryan, depending on where you're from. I am obviously from the looks of it not an ethnic Nihonjin lol, I am a Russian-Persian, who goes between the UK, Russia and Japan a lot, as my father lives and works in the Tokyo area, so I am a keen student of the Japanese language, and fascinated by the culture. Excuse any errors in my Japanese! It is a pleasure to meet you. (EXCUSE TSR, it's cutting off some of the kanji here)
hello! I'm Polina and I started learning Japanese about three weeks ago! I'm using Ganki textbook and Remembering Kanji (recommended by Abroad in Japan). So far I've learned 200 Kanji characters and ofc Hiragana and Katakana)) I'm thinking of studying Japanese at uni for extra credits or if I can, try and force my uni to let me study Japanese aNd business as a dual honours 😂! would love to start talking to someone who is also a newbie))!
I love Japanese culture, but not anime or manga, just general culture. Because I've been to Japan several times before and the people there were extremely kind and nice. 😍

I'd love to learn some Japanese language in the foreseeable future, and I just read hiragana and katagana but I need to pronounce kanji and how to convert kanji into hiragana.
Thread is dead :frown:
それわそれわ。。

Not anymore ~
Can anyone here speak Japanese?

日本語ができる人はいますか。

Had some trouble getting the characters to display properly so put it in a code box. :redface:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by miser

日本語ができる人はいますか。

おはーよ、最近このスレッドは静かだね
この夏jlpt n2を受けたの?どうだった?

おはーよ、最近このスレッドは静かだね
この夏jlpt n2を受けたの?どうだった?

そうだよね。時々チェックするけどいつも静かだね。

受けたよ!でも、3店足りなくて、がっかりだった。笑

Quixoteさんも受けた?

Quick Reply