Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

So I have passed the skills tests, got the GCSEs needed but I am feeling so nervous about teaching maths and well English on my
    PGCE. I am worried and I am not sure how the lessons will work during my course in regards to maths and well, English really. How much support is there and is there anything I should be doing before I start in 7 weeks? And resources or websites and advice would be amazing.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by PlantVZombie)
    Hi all,

So I have passed the skills tests, got the GCSEs needed but I am feeling so nervous about teaching maths and well English on my
    PGCE. I am worried and I am not sure how the lessons will work during my course in regards to maths and well, English really. How much support is there and is there anything I should be doing before I start in 7 weeks? And resources or websites and advice would be amazing.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations on your new post.

I would strongly recommend you visit or even sign up to TES.co.uk which is basially like the student room but for teachers, student teachers, head teachers - you get the idea.

There'll be lots of student teachers in the same boat as you. So ask this question on that site and you'll get some more experienced feedback to your question!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    For Maths:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ics_220714.pdf (KS1 and KS2 programme of study)

Reading through and making sure you understand all of this will keep you occupied Being able to understand the Maths and being able to explain it fundamentally is what you want, not just can I answer a question i.e. What is a fraction? How does place value work? Different methods for the four operations etc.

Have a (brief) look at the KS3 curriculum also because is good to look at where kids move on to as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Beaver)
    For Maths:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ics_220714.pdf (KS1 and KS2 programme of study)

Reading through and making sure you understand all of this will keep you occupied Being able to understand the Maths and being able to explain it fundamentally is what you want, not just can I answer a question i.e. What is a fraction? How does place value work? Different methods for the four operations etc.

Have a (brief) look at the KS3 curriculum also because is good to look at where kids move on to as well.
    Thank you so much! This is what I needed after being told on another forum to not do a PGCE if this is how you feel a productive response has made me feel a lot better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In many ways, how to teach maths and English will be something that you will learn 'on the job' because schools have different approaches. You may find that one of the schools in which you work uses, for example, the Talk for Writing approach whilst another does not, which will impact how you teach English in each school. There are a large number of commercial maths schemes available so I have yet to work in a school that teaches maths in the exact same way as another.

You're not going to be expected to teach brilliant lessons from the outset and you will get lots of opportunities to observe other people teach, which will help you. I don't think I taught my first great maths lesson until my second placement.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, organisation is a strong point. After doing a degree with a four day a week job, 2 children and a wife I am good at getting stuff sorted. I will check out these links and refresh myself . To be honest algebra is what worries me, which is odd because I never did algebra in primary school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlantVZombie)
    Thank you, organisation is a strong point. After doing a degree with a four day a week job, 2 children and a wife I am good at getting stuff sorted. I will check out these links and refresh myself . To be honest algebra is what worries me, which is odd because I never did algebra in primary school.
    Algebra doesn't formally appear in the National Curriculum until Year 6, but even Early Years children are developing algebraic thinking through activities involving identifying patterns and comparing quantities etc. Algebra at primary level doesn't always involve equations with letters.

Bitesize is a good revision website for the slightly more complex stuff, but don't worry too much about it. You are not expected to know everything before the course has started and you will almost certainly be expected to demonstrate that you are improving your subject knowledge over the course of your training. I had to keep a log of any books, websites etc that I used to revise areas of maths, English and Science; you might have to do something similar, so it is actually a good thing that you are already identifying areas for development in your subject knowledge! Algebra was an area that a lot of people on my course had concerns about so my university even ran a revision session.

ReputationRep:
    I did think about bitesize as I can remember my school talking about it when it first came around. I will certainly use it. I have around six weeks until I start so I will do a bit every day. I have been told (on tes) that teachers even have to brush up on stuff sometimes. I am probably worrying to much but I feel like a first class degree doesn't mean anything if you can't do the basics. I will just keep at it and well I want to teach years 2-4 so who knows what I will need to k ow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.