Turn on thread page Beta

interesting first few driving lessons watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I'm 15 years old, almost 16, and in this country that's old enough to get a provisional license. so I went to my first day of driving school, expecting to start somewhere quiet, learning the basics.

but instead, the instructor got in the passenger seat, and told me to start the car and drive straight - the car was parked in the middle of downtown! with loads of cars buzzing around! this certainly wasn't what I was expecting. for the whole lesson, I just drove around town, and it actually wasn't that hard once I got used to it.

my instructor doesn't really do anything, he just makes sure I don't crash, and yells at me a fair bit.

does anyone else have a similar 'learning' experience? that is, learning by getting in a car and just starting to drive without knowing anything at all?

(the clutch and gears still have me a bit confused)

ReputationRep:
    thats very odd to take u to a busy district ecspecially not explaining things to u
    i would honestly jus change instructors theres millions out there the end of the day ur paying him he dosnt sound very good at all

u will get use to the gears and cluth soon enough it will just click and realise its very easy afterall

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your paying your instructor to do f all.

I don't know anyone who had their first driving lesson like that, but you said "in this country" so i'm guessing you mean Tanzania like your location says or at least somewhere other than england. In my first lesson i just went driving around a somewhat deserted industrial estate practicing steering around mini round-a-bouts.

I really dont think your instructor should yell at you, maybe you could ask him to stop that and you might be able to get the hang of the clutch and changing gear if he wasnt screaming in your ear that youre doing it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    my first lesson was driving around somwhere pretty quiet, but it wasnt long before i was driving around a busy town so i sort of have had a similar experience so far, in that i have been pushed quite hard during my lessons, but i wanna pass before september so maybe thats why.

but there is a difference between pushing a student hard and completely throwing them in at the deep end like you.

ReputationRep:
    15? i thought the legal age was 17?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)

read the 1st post properly.

ReputationRep:
    Tanzania - my mum was born there . Sounds like an interesting lessons for sure! Some people learn best that way though, maybe it's just his way of doing things.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he does seem to be chucking you into the deep end a bit but that could just be his way of teaching :dontknow: ... good luck either way!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, did my lessons in Indonesia and that's pretty much what happened.

The guy stopped by the road and told me to take over. Then he told me to start driving through the city, even through the busy main roads. The car had dual pedals and all of course and it was alright. Just awkward at first. The instructor gave lots of pointers though. And I basically learnt how the gears work by listening to him teach another guy who already had a few lessons.

One of my most memorable lessons was doing a zig-zag course (not quite a slalom) between brick markers... backwards.. Apparently it was a parking practice. Felt like the instructor was trying to make me go through it as fast as possible though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_05)
    thats very odd to take u to a busy district ecspecially not explaining things to u
    i would honestly jus change instructors theres millions out there the end of the day ur paying him he dosnt sound very good at all

u will get use to the gears and cluth soon enough it will just click and realise its very easy afterall
    I hope I'll get used to the clutch - it was a bit better today, didn't stall as much. And I did look at other driving lessons, apparently they're all the same. People who take driving lessons here already know how to drive, and they just take them to pass the test at the end so they can get a license.

(Original post by peachy)
    Sounds like your paying your instructor to do f all.

I don't know anyone who had their first driving lesson like that, but you said "in this country" so i'm guessing you mean Tanzania like your location says or at least somewhere other than england. In my first lesson i just went driving around a somewhat deserted industrial estate practicing steering around mini round-a-bouts.

I really dont think your instructor should yell at you, maybe you could ask him to stop that and you might be able to get the hang of the clutch and changing gear if he wasnt screaming in your ear that youre doing it wrong.
    Yep, I mean Tanzania by 'this country'. You're right, I'll ask him nicely to be a bit nicer to me. Thanks!

(Original post by pumpkin7)
    Well, it's 16 for a provisional, and no-one here cares as long as you look enough, just tell the cops you're 18 and you'll be fine.

(Original post by no1mohsin)
    Tanzania - my mum was born there . Sounds like an interesting lessons for sure! Some people learn best that way though, maybe it's just his way of doing things.
    Ah cool
    Yeah, I'm actually starting to get the hang of it now. Have you ever been to Tanzania?

(Original post by Flash6289)
    Yeah, he does seem to be chucking you into the deep end a bit but that could just be his way of teaching :dontknow: ... good luck either way!
    Thanks! That could be his way, you're right.

(Original post by Paradiddle_man)
    Yep, did my lessons in Indonesia and that's pretty much what happened.

The guy stopped by the road and told me to take over. Then he told me to start driving through the city, even through the busy main roads. The car had dual pedals and all of course and it was alright. Just awkward at first. The instructor gave lots of pointers though. And I basically learnt how the gears work by listening to him teach another guy who already had a few lessons.

One of my most memorable lessons was doing a zig-zag course (not quite a slalom) between brick markers... backwards.. Apparently it was a parking practice. Felt like the instructor was trying to make me go through it as fast as possible though
    Oh, okay, that's cool then. I'm just trying to make sure that this isn't some completely weird method of teaching and I'll actually learn to drive by the end of it. If you've done something similar then it's cool. By the way, good luck with the IB, I'm starting IB1 in august/september!

ReputationRep:
    I'm just worried because the instructor ain't really teaching me any actual maneuvors; like how to reverse, or a 3-point turn, or reverse parking, etc. But maybe that'll come later, it's only my fifth day today, (out of 15).

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to Tanzania unfortunately, would love to one day though! My mum left there when she was really young though, and we don't have close family there any more so she doesn't really long to go back.

Maybe I'll go one day in the future though, it'd be great I think.

ReputationRep:
    I was chucked on a tractor at 12 with no idea, and told to start it and get going. You get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no1mohsin)
    I've never been to Tanzania unfortunately, would love to one day though! My mum left there when she was really young though, and we don't have close family there any more so she doesn't really long to go back.

Maybe I'll go one day in the future though, it'd be great I think.
    It's a fun place to holiday I guess, enjoy if you ever come

(Original post by Minardi)
    I was chucked on a tractor at 12 with no idea, and told to start it and get going. You get the idea.
    woot I get the idea yes

ReputationRep:
    Umm, I need some help.

There's a theory aspect to learning to drive, in my lessons it's a booklet with info on rules and the mechanics of a car and oil types and everything else. The only problem is that it's written in Swahili, and whilst I can kinda speak swahili, I can't read it.

Does anyone know of any free online resources where I could read the whole theory part? thanks so much!

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.