Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've wondered about this before so I'm gonna ask even though it might sound stupid. In the past I've kept my hair blonde rather than pink or blue or whatever (which I'd prefer) when on JSA, partly because in theory it should be easier for me to find a job with hair that isn't an unnatural colour (I say in theory because I reckon I look better with unnatural coloured hair, and because I think I'd be most likely to find a job somewhere where having pink hair is ok, as I'm quite a quirky person), and partly because I was scared that having pink hair somehow wasn't allowed and would be taken as evidence of not really wanting a job. Are the Job Centre within their rights to tell you to dye your hair a different colour and punish you if you don't change it?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you follow their rules and come in for meetings and show you're looking for jobs, they can't do anything. The worker you are assigned to may suggest to you to dye it a more natural colour but nothing they can really do about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    As long as you follow their rules and come in for meetings and show you're looking for jobs, they can't do anything. The worker you are assigned to may suggest to you to dye it a more natural colour but nothing they can really do about it.
    Yeah I was wondering given that you can get sanctioned for not doing stuff they tell you to do...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I can't see it being an issue, I see plenty of people working with brightly dyed hair, shaved heads, visible tattoos, facial piercings and all the other things that would once be considered "turn offs". As long as the types of job you're applying for are those that don't demand strict personal presentation standards it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmang0)
    I've wondered about this before so I'm gonna ask even though it might sound stupid. In the past I've kept my hair blonde rather than pink or blue or whatever (which I'd prefer) when on JSA, partly because in theory it should be easier for me to find a job with hair that isn't an unnatural colour (I say in theory because I reckon I look better with unnatural coloured hair, and because I think I'd be most likely to find a job somewhere where having pink hair is ok, as I'm quite a quirky person), and partly because I was scared that having pink hair somehow wasn't allowed and would be taken as evidence of not really wanting a job. Are the Job Centre within their rights to tell you to dye your hair a different colour and punish you if you don't change it?

You could always dye your hair blue or pink or whatever colour you want
    then just wear a normal colour like blonde or black wig everytime you go to the job centre or interviews and if you do get a job you can still wear the normal colour wig at work or you can just buy a pink or blue wig and wear that whenever you feel like being rebellious
    Last year i saw an older man who looked about 40 who had a red mohican haircut
    He was working for the London underground. I dared not laugh but not to be rude i just thought it was great his employers did not mind and it did suit him. I wanted to tell him i liked his hairstyle but i did not have the balls to. I wish i had took a picture of him on my mobile but i did not think to do it then.
    I can't remember what station i saw him at.
    I also saw a man working in Sainsburys who had multicolured hair and a nose ring
    But i'm not sure if any job centre tells people they must dye their hair if it was not a normal colour.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if the job centre can sanction you for that. I think if it were me though and I really wanted a job I would keep my hair a neutral colour simply as I know employers are more likely to want to hire you. It may not seem fair as such but you are probably more likely to be hired with a more natural hair colour (imo) so I'd do that in order to find a job easier.*

ReputationRep:
    Most of the staff at Job centres are pretty thick so I don't think your pink hair would even have occurred to them.
    I'd keep your coloured hair. The State is in most of our business nowadays and I wouldn't mention it at the Job Centre. It will just give them another excuse to add another silly sanction to the ones they currently have.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by greenmang0)
    I believe they can, although id need to look up the case law. I suspect it would come under failure to comply with a direction for a JC+ adviser.

They might give such an instruction if they felt it was preventing you from getting a job and you were being unreasonable and unwilling to change in order to improve your chances. Whether a jC+ adbiser asks you will depend on them.

In the event they did, then you can appeal, just like any other sanction.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.