Turn on thread page Beta

2nd Year University Results:Advice Needed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Need some advice regarding my 2nd year Uni grades. (Doing Economics @ Brunel).

Baisically i averaged 57/58% which is a 2:2. What i wanted to know was is it still possible to get a good 2:1 degree for me, or not?

If there is a possiblity, could anyone advise me on the best way to approach Level 3? Or anything else that would help me acheive a 'good' honours degree.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    well you only need to get an average of 62%(ish) next year to get a 2:1 so just work a bit harder and spend lots of time on your dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    Average above 60 for your third year and you'll be able to gain a 2:1 overall.

Do the reading, do more background reading and work your backside off for your dissertation

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the weighting each year is given for your course. If it's 30% for 2nd year and 70% for 3rd year then you wouldn't need to get much over 60% to get a 2:1 after all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's weighted 1 : 2, so around 62 would give you an overall 2.i. If you want a good 2.i (as in 65 and over), though, you'd need something closer to 69/70.

ReputationRep:
    i need about exactly the same as you next year, however the reason i dropped down this yr was cos of my maths modules which i dont have to do next year!!! so your 2nd yr was worth abt 33/34% so abt 61.5 should do it, depending on how strict your uni are with boundery marks. Its very very possible to get a 2.1 just start working from september (or even ova summer) and choose the right modules!

ReputationRep:
    Be very cautious next year. Often second year results reflect on the third year's. Of course that can be changed. Choose your modules strategically and work harder.

ReputationRep:
    57/58 is fine for second year marks if you want a 2:1, as people have said, work hard on your dissertation (dont leave 'till last minute like I did!) perhaps look at your module choices to see which fit you better, by that I mean some are 50/50 coursework/exam marks whilst some may be more coursework weighted or exam weighted, if you get better marks from assessed essays for example pick more of them to make the best of your strengths.

Remember as well people naturally improve year on year, my uni estimated that the average student improves marks by 10% purely on being more established with the work. Me personally I got 58 in my 2nd year, didn't get a single 2:1 in a module exam, highest was 59. third year I got 63, 65, 66 and 70 in my modules. And I've had a tendency to do badly in exams! so don';t worry if you put your head down you shall be fine!

ReputationRep:
    57/58 is a high 2.2 and the second year probably counts for less than the final year, so a 2.1 should definitely still be possible.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advice guys!!

Also, if anyone happens to read this again, is there any way i can pick a good dissertation topic for economics? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good topic..

Please let me know

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you ask that in the economics forum

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.