Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VM396 – Tidal Energy Motion 2016 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    52.08%
    On the contrary, No
    25.00%
    Abstain
    22.92%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    VM396 – Tidal Energy Motion 2016, TSR Labour Party
    This House believes that the Government should invest more money into tidal energy technologies to prepare for the future.

The UK has one of the largest marine energy resources in the world and the largest in Europe with 10 gigawatts of resources about 10 gigawatts, approximately 50% of Europe's capacity. This is an impressive statistic but we need to develop further. There are only 20 possible sites in the world that have been identified for tidal stations and 8 of these are in the UK. We need to embrace this fact and become the leading country for tidal power.

The current Government needs to carry on the work of the previous Labour Government who started to make progress on tidal energy. Just 7 tidal fences have the potential to produce 26% of the UKs entire annual energy needs, create 40,000 jobs and revive the Northern industrial Heartland.

Although new oil and gas reserves are constantly being found, there will be a time when these finite resources run out. We need to start making preparations now to ensure that the transition from non-renewables to renewables is as smooth as possible. We believe that tidal energy is the main renewable to focus on at the moment. It is a green and reliable source of energy that costs little money to maintain.Furthermore, tidal energy has no impact on marine life.

Each tidal fence will cost approximately £1.5bn to build but it will definitely be worth the investment in the long run as the total output of each one will be a staggering 5.2TWh of energy. Each fence should last for at least 100 years, create approximately 2150 jobs and provide 1.7% of the UK's energy. The Government will decide how many tidal fences it would like to build but 7 would be ideal. The Government may decide it doesn't want to install any tidal fences and may decide to create tidal lagoon power plants instead. Not all tidal projects have to be that expensive though. A small project built in the Sound of Islay powered more than 5,000 homes and only cost £40 million.

On a bigger scale, a £1bn tidal lagoon power plant in Swansea has been a big success story. 155,000 homes will be powered by the project and it has set a precedent for future tidal projects.The strike price for the tidal lagoon will be £96.50, only a few pounds more than Hinkley Nuclear Power Station's strike price of £92.50 but the extra £4 is a small price to pay for an energy source which is far more predictable, safe and efficient.

We must follow the lead of countries such as Denmark, Germany and South Africa by investing more money in renewable energy. If the Government invests more money in renewable enegy now, the negative impact of fossil fuels running out on the country will be significantly reduced. 25% of the UK's fossil fuel power generation is to come offline by 2020, so we need to start to build now to cope with the higher demand.

Signed,

The Hon. SoggyCabbages MP
    Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment, Energy, Agriculture and Natural Resources

Sources:
    http://www.marineturbines.com/Tidal-Energy
    http://www.marineturbines.com/sites/...nal-Report.pdf
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=60538509
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-12767211
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-31927779
    http://www.infrastructure-intelligen...ing-permission
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Edit: I stand corrected on what this motion is calling for
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Saracen's Fez Can you change me from a Nay to an Aye? I went a messed up
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Edit: I stand corrected on what this motion is calling for
    You mean you didn't realise this was another attempt by Labour to make the poor proportionally poorer
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You mean you didn't realise this was another attempt by Labour to make the poor proportionally poorer
    Motions are non-binding. We can adapt the plans to make them work for everyone
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Saracen's Fez Can you change me from a Nay to an Aye? I went a messed up
    So soon?

One No has been changed to an Aye.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    So soon?

One No has been changed to an Aye.
    Yup
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Motions are non-binding. We can adapt the plans to make them work for everyone
    On that basis division on bills is pointless, especially when they vary rarely fail due to being non binding, and then they are very rarely even replied to, let alone acted upon.

ReputationRep:
    I'll consider it.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, it's costly and I'd rather focus on lowering taxes for private companies investing in renewable energy.

ReputationRep:
    It appears this motion will be passed and I am glad to see this. Let us do more on energy conservation too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    One double vote has been corrected for seat 13 (jennywenny for Lime-man) (–1 Abstain).

One double vote has been corrected for seat 48 (Kyx for Little Toy Gun) (–1 Aye).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 25
    Noes to the left: 12
    Abstentions: 11

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 96%

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.