22.92%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
VM396 – Tidal Energy Motion 2016, TSR Labour Party
This House believes that the Government should invest more money into tidal energy technologies to prepare for the future.

The UK has one of the largest marine energy resources in the world and the largest in Europe with 10 gigawatts of resources about 10 gigawatts, approximately 50% of Europe's capacity. This is an impressive statistic but we need to develop further. There are only 20 possible sites in the world that have been identified for tidal stations and 8 of these are in the UK. We need to embrace this fact and become the leading country for tidal power.

The current Government needs to carry on the work of the previous Labour Government who started to make progress on tidal energy. Just 7 tidal fences have the potential to produce 26% of the UKs entire annual energy needs, create 40,000 jobs and revive the Northern industrial Heartland.

Although new oil and gas reserves are constantly being found, there will be a time when these finite resources run out. We need to start making preparations now to ensure that the transition from non-renewables to renewables is as smooth as possible. We believe that tidal energy is the main renewable to focus on at the moment. It is a green and reliable source of energy that costs little money to maintain.Furthermore, tidal energy has no impact on marine life.

Each tidal fence will cost approximately £1.5bn to build but it will definitely be worth the investment in the long run as the total output of each one will be a staggering 5.2TWh of energy. Each fence should last for at least 100 years, create approximately 2150 jobs and provide 1.7% of the UK's energy. The Government will decide how many tidal fences it would like to build but 7 would be ideal. The Government may decide it doesn't want to install any tidal fences and may decide to create tidal lagoon power plants instead. Not all tidal projects have to be that expensive though. A small project built in the Sound of Islay powered more than 5,000 homes and only cost £40 million.

On a bigger scale, a £1bn tidal lagoon power plant in Swansea has been a big success story. 155,000 homes will be powered by the project and it has set a precedent for future tidal projects.The strike price for the tidal lagoon will be £96.50, only a few pounds more than Hinkley Nuclear Power Station's strike price of £92.50 but the extra £4 is a small price to pay for an energy source which is far more predictable, safe and efficient.

We must follow the lead of countries such as Denmark, Germany and South Africa by investing more money in renewable energy. If the Government invests more money in renewable enegy now, the negative impact of fossil fuels running out on the country will be significantly reduced. 25% of the UK's fossil fuel power generation is to come offline by 2020, so we need to start to build now to cope with the higher demand.

Signed,

The Hon. SoggyCabbages MP
Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment, Energy, Agriculture and Natural Resources

Sources:
http://www.marineturbines.com/Tidal-Energy
http://www.marineturbines.com/sites/...nal-Report.pdf
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=60538509
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-12767211
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-31927779
http://www.infrastructure-intelligen...ing-permission
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Edit: I stand corrected on what this motion is calling for
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Saracen's Fez Can you change me from a Nay to an Aye? I went a messed up
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Edit: I stand corrected on what this motion is calling for
You mean you didn't realise this was another attempt by Labour to make the poor proportionally poorer
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
You mean you didn't realise this was another attempt by Labour to make the poor proportionally poorer
Motions are non-binding. We can adapt the plans to make them work for everyone
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Saracen's Fez Can you change me from a Nay to an Aye? I went a messed up
So soon?

One No has been changed to an Aye.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
So soon?

One No has been changed to an Aye.
Yup
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Motions are non-binding. We can adapt the plans to make them work for everyone
On that basis division on bills is pointless, especially when they vary rarely fail due to being non binding, and then they are very rarely even replied to, let alone acted upon.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll consider it.
Lime-man
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, it's costly and I'd rather focus on lowering taxes for private companies investing in renewable energy.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It appears this motion will be passed and I am glad to see this. Let us do more on energy conservation too.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
One double vote has been corrected for seat 13 (jennywenny for Lime-man) (–1 Abstain).

One double vote has been corrected for seat 48 (Kyx for Little Toy Gun) (–1 Aye).
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Ayes to the right: 25
Noes to the left: 12
Abstentions: 11

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 96%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads