Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VA146 – Seat Sharing Amendment Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this amendment be passed into the Guidance Document?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    40.43%
    On the contrary, No
    51.06%
    Abstain
    8.51%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    VA146 – Seat Sharing Amendment
    Proposed by: Nigel Farage MEP MP (UKIP)
    Seconded by: TheDefiniteArticle MP (Soc), mobbsy91 MP (Con), hazzer1998 MP (UKIP), Jammy Duel MP (Con)

Add to the Guidance Document under Party Membership

(4) Seat sharing is prohibited.
    (5) A member of one party may not act as an MP for an MP seat given to a different party.
    (6) When a member defects, or switches from one party to another party, the defecting member must wait two weeks before coming an MP for the new party.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I encourage all Conservatives to support this!

ReputationRep:
    It's a game at the end of the day, sometimes Nigel I think you forget that
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Easy nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    The pot calling the kettle black. While you may be willing to allow more in terms of the rigorousness of the simulation or however I should call it, you're getting overly emotional and feisty whereas Nigel remains largely stoic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    The pot calling the kettle black. While you may be willing to allow more in terms of the rigorousness of the simulation or however I should call it, you're getting overly emotional and feisty whereas Nigel remains largely stoic.
    I am happy to get involved in the game, and debate and yes sometimes get emotional when that is the response that feels justified, just as I would get emotion if someone said something similar to it outside of here. This isn't about a bill or a motion or something simply close to me for whatever reason, this is just an amendment, a change to the rules of the game, and this amendment adds nothing to the mhoc, adds nothing to the experience or the game. An MP today in rl can defect and take their seat to another party despite what their constituents voted for. Whereas here the MP doesn't take their seat as it belongs to the party. Nobody is disadvantaged by the status quo, and nothing is added and nobody is better of by changing the status quo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am happy to get involved in the game, and debate and yes sometimes get emotional when that is the response that feels justified, just as I would get emotion if someone said something similar to it outside of here. This isn't about a bill or a motion or something simply close to me for whatever reason, this is just an amendment, a change to the rules of the game, and this amendment adds nothing to the mhoc, adds nothing to the experience or the game. An MP today in rl can defect and take their seat to another party despite what their constituents voted for. Whereas here the MP doesn't take their seat as it belongs to the party. Nobody is disadvantaged by the status quo, and nothing is added and nobody is better of by changing the status quo.
    PRSOM
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    To be honest, I really don't see how this being a game comes into it with this amendment. Maybe Nigel does take this too seriously at times, but I really really don't see how amendment has a bearing on that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    To be honest, I really don't see how this being a game comes into it with this amendment. Maybe Nigel does take this too seriously at times, but I really really don't see how amendment has a bearing on that...
    I think it needless penalises people who defect and adds a needless level of bureaucracy that isn't even found irl
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I think it needless penalises people who defect and adds a needless level of bureaucracy that isn't even found irl
    Ok, perhaps it should've been made 1 week, but the sentiment is the same. Otherwise it's an easy loophole for Parties to use and abuse.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 19
    Noes to the left: 24
    Abstentions: 4

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 94%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.