The Student Room Group

Combined to POP pill

Hi, I have been taking Microgynon 30 for six years, I have had absolutely no issues with this pill, I know it is effective, it makes periods regular and predictable and I WISH I could stay on it. However, I had an episode of blind spots, dizziness and floaters in my vision. This was NOT accompanied by a headache, but after this ONE episode the doctors have decided to take me off it, I find this decision unfair as it was during a period of stress. So, I now have to take Cerelle, I have heard such bad things about it, I'm worried its not going to be as effective, that I could get acne and that I'll gain weight as well as get irregular periods. This really wouldn't fit in with my lifestyle. What are other people's experiences on this? (please be positive ones :ashamed2:)
Original post by Mango65
Hi, I have been taking Microgynon 30 for six years, I have had absolutely no issues with this pill, I know it is effective, it makes periods regular and predictable and I WISH I could stay on it. However, I had an episode of blind spots, dizziness and floaters in my vision. This was NOT accompanied by a headache, but after this ONE episode the doctors have decided to take me off it, I find this decision unfair as it was during a period of stress. So, I now have to take Cerelle, I have heard such bad things about it, I'm worried its not going to be as effective, that I could get acne and that I'll gain weight as well as get irregular periods. This really wouldn't fit in with my lifestyle. What are other people's experiences on this? (please be positive ones :ashamed2:)

I had to switch for similar reasons, i had a good experience on cerelle for about 18 months(had no periods for a year at all) before it gave me constant spotting (i did gain half a stone due to diet in that time though so that could have explained it).

You could always ask for a doctors second opinion if you're really concerned, but everyone's hormones are different, so one persons awful side effects might not happen to another person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I had to switch for similar reasons, i had a good experience on cerelle for about 18 months(had no periods for a year at all) before it gave me constant spotting (i did gain half a stone due to diet in that time though so that could have explained it)

Hi, thank you for your reply :smile: that's good to hear that it worked for a year and half but sucks whats happened recently. Could I ask was the spotting bad? and are you still taking Cerelle? tbh I have gained weight during my time on the combined pill but I cannot blame the pill as I have gotten older and eat differently to I used to, so i'm hoping I won't gain more off taking the POP. Thanks for your help!
Original post by Mango65
Hi, thank you for your reply :smile: that's good to hear that it worked for a year and half but sucks whats happened recently. Could I ask was the spotting bad? and are you still taking Cerelle? tbh I have gained weight during my time on the combined pill but I cannot blame the pill as I have gotten older and eat differently to I used to, so i'm hoping I won't gain more off taking the POP. Thanks for your help!

Well it lasted for 3 weeks (with headaches and bloating, i did get bloating before then but it wasnt too bad) before I made the decision that I wanted to give my body a break from the pill entirely, so haven't taken that or any other hormonal contraception since then. Cerelle wont have been to blame for my weight gain, as it was mostly deliberately me eating more.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Well it lasted for 3 weeks (with headaches and bloating, i did get bloating before then but it wasnt too bad) before I made the decision that I wanted to give my body a break from the pill entirely, so haven't taken that or any other hormonal contraception since then. Cerelle wont have been to blame for my weight gain, as it was mostly deliberately me eating more.

Ah okay thank you for helping:smile:, I feel a bit better as I have read some reviews about non-stop bleeding etc, I know everyone is different but this seemed to be a common theme and I do a lot of sport so this wouldn't be ideal for me.
I was exactly the same as you apart from I was changing from Rigevidon to cerazette. I changed for family history reasons rather than dizziness etc. When starting cerazette I bled for 3 weeks! It was awful but my GP said to hang in there and that it should wear off.. which it did. After that I then had two normal periods over 4 months (so every other month). Since then I have had no bleeding whatsoever and its been a Godsend. Plus its much more safe than the combined pill so helps with my hypochondriac/anxiety tendencies.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I was exactly the same as you apart from I was changing from Rigevidon to cerazette. I changed for family history reasons rather than dizziness etc. When starting cerazette I bled for 3 weeks! It was awful but my GP said to hang in there and that it should wear off.. which it did. After that I then had two normal periods over 4 months (so every other month). Since then I have had no bleeding whatsoever and its been a Godsend. Plus its much more safe than the combined pill so helps with my hypochondriac/anxiety tendencies.

Thanks for your reply :smile: aww this sounds like a positive experience, I hope I have a similar ones as I've heard some bad things and find that microgynon has worked really well for me so hope cerelle isn't too bad :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest