Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    MHoC By-Election

Following the low turnout in seat 46 for a second month this term it will go to by-election.

Sitting MPs are not allowed to stand in by-elections – this means that candidates will be forbidden to sit as an MP during the week of voting.

The incumbent MP, Andy98, will be removed from the usergroup tonight and the Green Party are not permitted to endorse a candidate in this election.

Seats won under a party banner are added to the party total and are not the property of the winning candidate. Party members may only stand under a party banner – to stand as an indie requires them to resign their party membership when they submit their candidacy.

To submit your candidacy please PM your manifesto to the Speaker by 7pm on Tuesday 26 July.

The schedule will be as set out in the Guidance Document:
    Day 0 (19 Jul) – Election is announced by The Speaker.
    Day 0 (19 Jul) – The Speaker will inform interested candidates/parties to submit their manifestos
    Day 7 (26 Jul) – All manifestos should have been received by The Speaker.
    Day 7 (26 Jul) – The Speaker will post the manifestos in a thread in the Model House of Commons forum, add a secret 7 day poll with the option of “Spoilt Ballot” and send a message out to MPs informing them of the vote.
    Day 14 (02 Aug) – The election closes and seats are assigned.

Manifesto rules:
    i) Manifestos may not contain more than two image files.
    ii) Manifestos may not contain audio or video files.
    iii) Manifestos may not contain pictures of, or quotes attributed to, any real-life figure, living or dead, political or otherwise.
    iv) Where a manifesto is received with more than 450 words, the Speaker will cut the manifesto at the 450-word mark.
    If you submit a manifesto as an image file, please send me a plain text copy alongside it!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Let the battle commence.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Well you wait all your MHoC life for a by-election and then 2 come along at once. (I know there was one last term...)

I once thought about making an amendment for by-elections to happen more often but obviously it isn't needed.

ReputationRep:
    :dance:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Do we think Aph will get more or less (or the same) number of votes this time...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Do we think Aph will get more or less (or the same) number of votes this time...
    My bet is the same

................................ ................................ .........

Well This is exciting .... 2 By elections in a matter of week .....
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I personally think he'll get a few more if he stands as this time he wouldn't be an indie.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I personally think he'll get a few more if he stands as this time he wouldn't be an indie.
    Ahh yes, I wasn't thinking about that to be honest...! If the Socs want him to stand... I guess if he does, we'll know the Socs have activity issues :rofl:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ahh yes, I wasn't thinking about that to be honest...! If the Socs want him to stand... I guess if he does, we'll know the Socs have activity issues :rofl:
    Actually (I literally just remembered) I think he's already an MP for them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm one of the most active people in the MHoC? Just because you don't like me.
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Actually (I literally just remembered) I think he's already an MP for them.
    Proxy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm one of the most active people in the MHoC? Just because you don't like me.

Proxy.
    I can't fault your activity, to be fair, but it's like, would I want certain people to be an MP, based on their beliefs, no... Because you being an MP would be another vote to the left... it's nothing personal!

ReputationRep:
    I think one or two of you may have already known that I was leaning in this direction, but I have now made my final decision and it is time to inform the wider public. It is with a heavy heart that, after a lot of soul searching and consultation with friends and family, I have made the difficult decision not to stand in this by-election. The time simply isn't right for me and my young family, and I'm not sure I would have been able to give my all to the job for the people who would be relying on me. I ask my supporters not to despair, I'm sure there will be other worthy candidates standing and I shall let you know which candidate I will be endorsing in due course. I promise you this though; our day will come.

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to questioning the candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Have fun guys!

ReputationRep:
    Tories will still hit 24% or more even if Labour choose to rig the election again.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Tories will still hit 24% or more even if Labour choose to rig the election again.
    Rigged election? Is that seriously your excuse for your candidate coming third?

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Bitter much?!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Round 2 - here we go!*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Voting is now open!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.