Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you possibly be over-educated for certain jobs? I have heard that some companies will not employ you if your qualifications are too high for a given job position.

Another, a little bit more specific question..
    If someone finishes IT course at uni, would this person be allowed to work in IT call centre? The employee's duties would include answering phone calls from customers with broken computers, etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Yes you can be overqualified because you will command a higher salary which companies don't want to pay. Check what the entry requirements are for jobs you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black and mellow)
    If someone finishes IT course at uni, would this person be allowed to work in IT call centre? The employee's duties would include answering phone calls from customers with broken computers, etc.
    Why would you go to university if this is your ultimate goal? Seems like a lot of wasted time and money to me and you won't gain any skills in fixing PCs at university.

That said - I am sure call centres employ graduates.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Why would you go to university if this is your ultimate goal? Seems like a lot of wasted time and money to me and you won't gain any skills in fixing PCs at university.

That said - I am sure call centres employ graduates.

Good luck!
    Thank you a lot for your helpful answer. I would like to work in IT call centre, but going to university could become a gate that leads to even better career path. I may have a tad bigger ambitions than working in IT call centre, this is why I try to 'secure' my future by going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't tell them your 'over qualifications' if it's a worry, but i've never heard of someone actually being refused a job because of over qualified, as long as the salary you negotiate is more within their terms than yours

ReputationRep:
    I think you can be overqualified as others have said, if you accept a low pay grade job and manage to convince them that your happy being paid the same as everyone else, they will always think your only working there as a stepping stone and you won't be a long term investment to them.

even being overqualified, training any staff to a companies set standards costs a lot of money to them!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.