Turn on thread page Beta

Left clueless over hospital results! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the length!

In 2014 I was tested for PCOS in which I had a blood test and came back with high levels of progesterone but to clarify they had to do it again... but I moved far from the location and life took over. Since starting the mini pill, the only kind I can have, I've bled constantly and been in a lot of pain. I've been back and forth with doctors and family planning and referred to a gyno where nothing but changing my pill type which doesn't help and I've now been told to stop all pills and my last hope is the coil! But the doctors refuse to fit myself with one because I'm in a lot of pain caused by the pill which I stopped in early February and I have not returned to normal.
    I wanted a PCOS retest and my gyno immediately shut it down, his words were that I was not 'fat' so I don't have it... despite my aunt having it and she is defiantly not 'fat'. I pushed on and eventually they did blood tests, never got the results for that, and an ultrasound scan. Everything came back as normal.
    My next appointment I pressed on about my pain and how bad it was, I had to have swabs taken, never got those results either, and sent to another scan! I come back from holiday to a letter stating my scan results and that I have a slight risk of polycystic ovaries but don't worry about it right now... this was all the letter said!! I really don't know where to go from here at all! This has been going on for over 2 years and I get no guidance or support from any medical profession I have seen despite fighting for them to test me and I still have no clear answers!
    On top of this I've been told to go back to my GP and be referred back to hospital to be tested for an overactive thyroid since I'm losing a lot of weight for unexplained reasons. This I know will be another long process... I'm really lost as to where I go from here or what to do about these results, my gyno is really trying to get rid of me and eventually discharge me for sure with no better knowledge :/

Hii

I suffer from PCOS and I'm 16, diagnosed last October. Your experience sounds absolutely horrible, nothing like when I was diagnosed.

It was first noticed when I went to the doctors for excess hair and weird period timings. The GP asked me how long I had been on my period and that when it reached a certain length of time to go and get a blood test done because my symptoms sounded alot like PCOS.

I got a blood test followed by a ultrasound, results showed I had excess testosterone and one of my ovaries was larger than normal and cystic. Pretty straightforward, which is why I'm so amazed by what you went through. I'm not fat either and not too skinny. Although PCOS increases chances of weight gain, it does not mean you have to be fat to have it.

Why are you referred to a gyno for this? Mine was all done through the local non emergency centre by the ultrasound team and the people who take blood. The results were given to me back at the GP. If you have an overactive thyroid that should also be another easily diagnosed problem, you shouldn't be going through as much hassle as what you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Why are you referred to a gyno for this?
    I wish it could go a ot more straight forward than that for myself like you were able too :/

My GP referred me because he stated that there was nothing else they could do for me. It really is a struggle to understand why I'm getting such lack of support from anyone. I forgot to mention that my gyno told me my cervix is deviated far to the right too but they have failed to let me know why after my ultrasound, it's all so vague.

If I were you, I would get really down to earth with your GP and begin to demand answers. They should be able to give you some sort of a explanation and give you a proper clear explanation of what to do next. I don't tend to do the demanding myself, I bring a family member who gets the answers out of them for me.

But seriously, you need to get pushy if you want anything doing as that is what I've begun to notice with these types of things. Unless its a medical emergency, there never really in a rush to give you answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But seriously, you need to get pushy if you want anything doing as that is what I've begun to notice with these types of things. Unless its a medical emergency, there never really in a rush to give you answers.
    I called up the ward and explained to them that I have been given no answers and what am I expected to do. Apparently they have discharged me since I got this letter without any knowledge to myself. According to them if I keep having issues, which I am, I need to go back through the GP and start again. I'm really upset and frustrated and had to keep fighting for tests in the first place.

(Original post by nomadic_ash)
    I called up the ward and explained to them that I have been given no answers and what am I expected to do. Apparently they have discharged me since I got this letter without any knowledge to myself. According to them if I keep having issues, which I am, I need to go back through the GP and start again. I'm really upset and frustrated and had to keep fighting for tests in the first place.
    I suppose that is all you can do at this point

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.