Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Travelling around today I noticed these posters in the train station and the bus stop. It's nice to see the issue of male mental health & suicide being brought to the front even if it's just a small start. It seems like most posters or help is only given to women whether it's cancer treatment or abuse etc the male barely gets a mention. So thanks to this organisation for shining some light on what many young boys and men suffer in silence about.

Attachment 563094

Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg 20160719_210059.jpg (385.3 KB)
  2. File Type: jpg 20160719_230334.jpg (248.1 KB)

ReputationRep:
    There is quite a difference between understanding male mental health and female mental health. I've seen for myself how people tend to be more sympathetic towards women's mental health problems whereas men are somewhat expect to "just deal with it".

Shame we live in such a world, but the best we can do as individuals is do what we can to support those in need, regardless of gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    There is quite a difference between understanding male mental health and female mental health. I've seen for myself how people tend to be more sympathetic towards women's mental health problems whereas men are somewhat expect to "just deal with it".

Shame we live in such a world, but the best we can do as individuals is do what we can to support those in need, regardless of gender.
    Couldnt have said it better That's so true, but we should care for everyone no matter their background, gender, race etc.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, we've been bought up in a culture where nowadays it is so geared towards political correctness and Women's Equal rights, that sometimes the balance gets swung too far towards a certain direction. Men suffer just as much mental health problems, and a high percentage of domestic violence cases are against men, but the ones reported and the ones that garner the most sympathy are the cases about Women

ReputationRep:
    The best thing for men & women alike and young children is that they are taught to talk and have a support network however small that they can discuss their problems with even 1 to 2 people can make a great difference. Some people simply want to know that they are wanted/loved.

It would also be good that as a people and a culture we aim to create positivity around society not negativity and hopefully things can improve slowly. I believe in Britain even with our problems we are a progressive open minded nation but we can do better.

Create a culture of love and coming together as a people not fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    Travelling around today I noticed these posters in the train station and the bus stop. It's nice to see the issue of male mental health & suicide being brought to the front even if it's just a small start. It seems like most posters or help is only given to women whether it's cancer treatment or abuse etc the male barely gets a mention. So thanks to this organisation for shining some light on what many young boys and men suffer in silence about.

Attachment 563094

About the cancer funding, I heard that often cancer groups focus advertising on, say breast cancer, in order to maximize the donations. They then spread this money out to all forms of cancer. Otherwise research into male cancers may get even less funding!

(Original post by SpiritSharD)

It could be true that men are less likely to seek professional help because they are not as used to talking about mental health issues. For this reason, I like the idea of focusing some advertising on men and making them more comfortable in seeking help.

Saying that I would be very wary of rushing to blame male bonding for the suicide problem. lndeed it may be the case more men than women prefer to work through issues on their own rather than be forced to talk about it with friends. Also, men do look out for each other, though often in less direct ways. I wonder if men are more likely to become isolated from their friendship groups though.

Anyway I hope more research into this is done and I hope we can find some answers soon. I'm surprised that so little research has been done on this so far.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.