Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a question regarding admission into LSE. I applyed for eco and math for 2007 entrance through ucas (the normal route) and got rejected...however, i do the IB and got higher than i was predicted (40 points) and was wondering whether there is any point phoning LSE to see if they have any seats they could consider me for (not necessaruly for the same course but anything eco related). I know that this is not the norm route to take, but i know a person from last yr who did this and got into warwick.
    Also would it be better for me to personally phone or to get my counsellor

I really wanted to go to LSE, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time

ReputationRep:
    Well there's no harm trying ... but I'm pretty sure they don't reconsider applications without extenuating circumstances. Have u asked 4 feedback on your application?

ReputationRep:
    no i didnt ask for feedback, and its prob too late to ask now

ReputationRep:
    LSE are a bit fussy with things like this, and I doubt they will be able to help you (unfortunately). They "proudly" announce that they do not participate in extra or clearing and as they rejected you before I don't think getting a higher-than-expected IB score will do any good. Sorry.

IMO it would be best to give it another shot next year; you should stand a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    so dont u have to be released from ure firm and insruance choices ? or did u reject all ure other offers aswell? and what were they

ReputationRep:
    @ hrithik: I actually did phone them up and ask them and as V11 said, they told me they haven't been in extra or clearing for over 15 yrs. They said there is no chance of getting in for 2007 entry but you can try aswell there's no harm in it. I didn't apply in the first place so you may have a better chance as you did.

ReputationRep:
    wow, congrats on the 40 points.

did you do the full diploma?

I don't understand how you were rejected before your grades came out unless you had horrible predicteds or were not taking the full diploma with CAS/Ext. Essay etc.

I think it's worth it to give them a call, if theycan't do anything for you I would apply for entry next year at oxbridge as well as LSE.

ReputationRep:
    It's almost impossible they would accept you. I heard its quite easy to get into 2nd year of warwick, as they are nt that fussy, and so for 1st year. But Lse, its next to impossible.Although, you could try to apply for a transfer after your second year. (which means you must go through an interview and an exam)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chex)
    wow, congrats on the 40 points.

did you do the full diploma?

I don't understand how you were rejected before your grades came out unless you had horrible predicteds or were not taking the full diploma with CAS/Ext. Essay etc.

I think it's worth it to give them a call, if theycan't do anything for you I would apply for entry next year at oxbridge as well as LSE.

Ya i did the full diploma with 4 HL (but one of them was business). I think my predicted was around 38

ReputationRep:
    38 is good. I can't see why they would reject you with a predicted 38 unless they want a subject you weren't taking or the class was full.

If I were you I would call them and see what's going on and maybe try to get on to a different course; failing that I would take a year out and apply to oxbridge and LSE for next year - with 40 points and good subjects you can get into anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a chance- you might take a gap year and reapply, that way you can get an unconditional.

PS. there's also another way- bribery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2late)
    I don't think there is a chance- you might take a gap year and reapply, that way you can get an unconditional.

PS. there's also another way- bribery.
    LOL....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wai``Hou!)
    LOL....
    seriously, it does happen... I heard for Ox, you need to pay between 100k-300k as a donation to a college(that you wish to go)... but still, you need to make at least a decent grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshvinder)
    seriously, it does happen... I heard for Ox, you need to pay between 100k-300k as a donation to a college(that you wish to go)... but still, you need to make at least a decent grade
    Hardly happens as blatantly as it does in the US. The more you donate there, the higher the chances your kid will be admitted into the college (pretty much regardless of the grade) - and they're open about it!

ReputationRep:
    This is the 1st time I have ever heard of these things!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Money rules this world, didn't you know?

ReputationRep:
    That's not necessarily true. My friend from home, her grandfather donated 1 million US dollars to Stanford and she didn't get in. She had decent grades and went to a posh private school. Hmmm perhaps a million is not enough...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Hardly happens as blatantly as it does in the US. The more you donate there, the higher the chances your kid will be admitted into the college (pretty much regardless of the grade) - and they're open about it!
    That is 100% bull. I went to quite a wealthy school in the States, loads of people had parents who donated but got rejected because they didn't have the grades.

There are VERY few people who can donate enough to a university to make them take an unqualified student. There are plenty of qualified rich people, plus if the university is good enough, it will produce graduates who become rich. My friend worked in the alumni office, and it turns out those are the ones who donate the most anyway; not parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    That is 100% bull. I went to quite a wealthy school in the States, loads of people had parents who donated but got rejected because they didn't have the grades.

There are VERY few people who can donate enough to a university to make them take an unqualified student. There are plenty of qualified rich people, plus if the university is good enough, it will produce graduates who become rich. My friend worked in the alumni office, and it turns out those are the ones who donate the most anyway; not parents.
    Say what you want shady, but I know first hand of a bunch of folks who got in only because their parents were filthy reach and decided to donate to the university. They admit it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    So you're telling me that they had below par SATs, grades, and ECs, yet magically got into these universities?

The head of the New York Tri-State area alumni association was the mother of a classmate of mine. My father was an alumnus who never gave a penny to the university and never attended an alumni event post-graduation. I got in; he didn't.

I literally only know one person that I can say got into university because of her family's donation. But I know plenty of people who didn't. And I also know people who worked in admissions offices at Stanford, Harvard, and Georgetown, and people who work in alumni offices at similar universities.

The Stanford alumni association has done research and the greatest factor for giving to the university is 1) how much the alumnus perceives his/her success to be due to the university and 2) how much they liked their freshman dorm (no joke). It's nothing to do with kids, and so if they want to increase their giving, it's better to take entrepreneurial types over rich kids, because they'll get more out the former.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.