Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I will be starting PhD studies in Essex next october and I wonder if someone could give me advice on the cheapest place to live, considering I have been offered a place in the North Towers. Is it possible to find anything cheaper or should I accept my offer?

Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    Private accommodation is cheaper in almost every case mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Private accommodation is cheaper in almost every case mate!
    Thank you jakemittle! Even considering utilities and deposits?
    Could you suggest any affordable/nice website to look for accommodation? Another important matter is than, since I am from overseas, I won´t have a UK garantor... is that a problem?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maiterodapo)
    Thank you jakemittle! Even considering utilities and deposits?
    Could you suggest any affordable/nice website to look for accommodation? Another important matter is than, since I am from overseas, I won´t have a UK garantor... is that a problem?

Thanks again
    Where are you from? And whats your budget?
    Look in Wivenhoe or Greenstead for homes. There are also halls off campus as well!

Uni accommodation is expensive in the UK for what you get.

ReputationRep:
    I´m Uruguayan/Italian.
    In the North Towers the cost is 88 pw, so no more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maiterodapo)
    Another important matter is than, since I am from overseas, I won´t have a UK garantor... is that a problem?
    Not having a UK garantor could be a problem for you. It could mean that you either have to pay 6 months rent up front, or pay for a garantor service, which can be quite expensive. I know this because my daughter is classed as an EU student. She arranged for her 2nd year accommodation through Essex Uni Lets. They sent her an email which said this:

"If you do not have a UK based guarantor you can pay 6 months rent before you move in. This covers the rent for the first month of the tenancy and the last five months. Alternatively you can use a guarantor service such as Housing Hand or Your Guarantor."

I can't say if this would be the case if you managed to arrange accommodation completely privately, i.e. not through the uni's letting agency but I kind of assume this would be pretty much standard practice. (Please, correct me if I am wrong on this point, anyone who knows.)

If you choose to live in the halls on campus, this will not be an issue as you do not need a garantor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FionaMG)
    Not having a UK garantor could be a problem for you. It could mean that you either have to pay 6 months rent up front, or pay for a garantor service, which can be quite expensive. I know this because my daughter is classed as an EU student. She arranged for her 2nd year accommodation through Essex Uni Lets. They sent her an email which said this:

"If you do not have a UK based guarantor you can pay 6 months rent before you move in. This covers the rent for the first month of the tenancy and the last five months. Alternatively you can use a guarantor service such as Housing Hand or Your Guarantor."

I can't say if this would be the case if you managed to arrange accommodation completely privately, i.e. not through the uni's letting agency but I kind of assume this would be pretty much standard practice. (Please, correct me if I am wrong on this point, anyone who knows.)

If you choose to live in the halls on campus, this will not be an issue as you do not need a garantor.
    Thank you very much for the information.
    It has been difficult to look for accommodation from abroad so, at this point, guess it´s better to accept to live on campus, where a room is guaranteed for my first year. For the years to come, maybe I´ll try something different.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.