Turn on thread page Beta

admission after results watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I applyed for PPE at oxford, got an interview but was then rejected ...however, i do the IB and got higher than i was predicted (my final score is 40 points with 3 7s) and was wondering whether there is any point phoning the uni to see if they have any seats they could consider me for (not necessaruly for the same course but anything eco related). i have heard that sometimes there is a seat that is empty for some random reason, so do u think it would be worth my time? Also would it be better for me to personally phone or to get my counsellor

Thanks for your time

ReputationRep:
    No, I very much doubt there is any point calling Oxford to ask if they have any spare places. Oxford doesn't enter into clearing and usually any 'spare' spaces are filled by people who were given open offers back in December. Sometimes this doesn't even happen and the places simply don't get filled. Congrats on your score though, if you want to reapply next year it can only go in your favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrithik)
    I applyed for PPE at oxford, got an interview but was then rejected ...however, i do the IB and got higher than i was predicted (my final score is 40 points with 3 7s) and was wondering whether there is any point phoning the uni to see if they have any seats they could consider me for (not necessaruly for the same course but anything eco related). i have heard that sometimes there is a seat that is empty for some random reason, so do u think it would be worth my time? Also would it be better for me to personally phone or to get my counsellor

Thanks for your time
    I would say no, only because if you impressed them enough at interview they probably would have made you an offer. Grades wouldn't have been the only thing. Also.. its very unlikely that they'd have 'spare room'. Of course there's no harm in trying. I would call personally if I were you. It show's initiative and your own determination.

ReputationRep:
    Just re-apply. It only takes a year

ReputationRep:
    yeah re-apply is teh best. I actually did phone them up and they said that they oversubscribe and therefore not everyone will get the required grades so spaces are not left. What happens in a situation where everyone makes their grades i don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nabster_88)
    yeah re-apply is teh best. I actually did phone them up and they said that they oversubscribe and therefore not everyone will get the required grades so spaces are not left. What happens in a situation where everyone makes their grades i don't know.
    Do you refer to people who have open offers? They will be sent to another college.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by chrisjorg)
    They get rich visiting students to attend and pay an excruciating amount of money.
    Actually they have to have taken care of that before results day.

ReputationRep:
    No. But you'd be in a strong position for reapplication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HPSH)
    Does anyone think I might have a chance ringing up Oxford for Maths&Philosophy with a 1,1 in STEP II/III & a distinction in AEA english?
    I think it's unlikely as Oxford don't use the STEP papers, but as above poster said, good shot at reapplication.....

However if you are in Cambridge on results day you may have more luck... If you walk round all the colleges and tell them you have a 1,1 there is always a chance that one tutor will take you...

ReputationRep:
    That would be a bit silly. To waste all that money to be there on a day when the staff are probably far busier than usual and likely to be far more easily pissed off at somebody extra plagueing them. Especially as they probably can't make all of those decisions at the snap of a finger the moment results come. Sure they know a few days before, but they still have a heck of alot of processing to do. You'd be buying a ticket and paying for accomodation.. I sure hope you're happy to find some activities for yourself to make it worthwhile.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    That would be a bit silly. To waste all that money to be there on a day when the staff are probably far busier than usual and likely to be far more easily pissed off at somebody extra plagueing them. Especially as they probably can't make all of those decisions at the snap of a finger the moment results come.
    :ditto:
    To be honest, though, sebbie's advice probably wasn't meant entirely seriously. Or at least I hope it wasn't...:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    :ditto:
    To be honest, though, sebbie's advice probably wasn't meant entirely seriously. Or at least I hope it wasn't...:hmmmm:
    Oh :blush: I didn't sleep a wink last night (literally), so I'm not particularly switched on :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbie)
    I think it's unlikely as Oxford don't use the STEP papers, but as above poster said, good shot at reapplication.....

However if you are in Cambridge on results day you may have more luck... If you walk round all the colleges and tell them you have a 1,1 there is always a chance that one tutor will take you...

I would have thought, given the alleged disparity between the Oxford and Cambridge maths courses/standard of applicants that it would be a pretty big help.

Also, since I noticed you're in at Balliol (which would probably be my choice were I to re-apply), Who was it who interviewed you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but as Oxford expect people to make their offer, it's far less likely that there will be a free place to give you. However only ~170 people get 1,1 in STEP so there is a good chance that there may be places at Cambridge to give you (though I still think they'd tell you to reapply).

Don't know why people think my advice wasn't serious, it's a very small chance that you'll get in but if you live near Cambridge it's worth a shot, what's the worst that can happen? If you don't want to take a gap year I'd say it's a risk worth taking. I know for a fact that people have got in after results day. Let's say you get an SS in STEP II and III and the tutor has the choice between you standing there and a missed offer of 22 then you always have a chance. If you don't ask you don't get.

I was interviewed by Dr Giovanna Scataglini Belghitar, if you've got any further questions about that PM me. I thought I was the only person in the country going to do Maths at uni who had English Lit A-Level but it appears I'm not quite alone!

ReputationRep:
    It is most definitely not worth a shot to be in Cambridge on results day and bother admissions tutors in person. How would you know who they were? Would you just go up to their door and knock on it? Would you ask the porters where they were? Very very bad plan.

I'd normally say that it was utterly pointless to talk to Oxford/Cambridge post rejection unless you were re-applying... but those results are really really impressive. I still say your best bet is to re-apply, if you definitely want to go to Oxbridge.

My advice, however, is to get on with your life at another university. You'll enjoy it fine, and do very well there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sebbie)
    Don't know why people think my advice wasn't serious, it's a very small chance that you'll get in but if you live near Cambridge it's worth a shot, what's the worst that can happen? If you don't want to take a gap year I'd say it's a risk worth taking. I know for a fact that people have got in after results day. Let's say you get an SS in STEP II and III and the tutor has the choice between you standing there and a missed offer of 22 then you always have a chance. If you don't ask you don't get.
    Because, no offence, I think it's bad advice, even if you do know someone who somehow managed to get in after results day that way. I simply doubt it's a good idea to encourage people to get their hopes up, when their actual chances of successfully getting a place by walking into colleges and trying to impress random maths tutors on the spot are probably close to nil.

ReputationRep:
    Is it not against UCAS terms and conditions for a university to accept a student for a course if they didn't officially apply through UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datr)
    Is it not against UCAS terms and conditions for a university to accept a student for a course if they didn't officially apply through UCAS?
    Technically yes, though I think it happens occasionally. I know a girl who applied to Newcastle twice through UCAS and missed the grades each time due to ill health. She then rang them up the next year and they made her an offer based purely on passing an access course, not through UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Because, no offence, I think it's bad advice, even if you do know someone who somehow managed to get in after results day that way. I simply doubt it's a good idea to encourage people to get their hopes up, when their actual chances of successfully getting a place by walking into colleges and trying to impress random maths tutors on the spot are probably close to nil.
    hence I used the words "very small chance". As I said if you don't try you'll never know, nothing to lose yet everything to gain....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    It is most definitely not worth a shot to be in Cambridge on results day and bother admissions tutors in person. How would you know who they were? Would you just go up to their door and knock on it? Would you ask the porters where they were? Very very bad plan.
    Why is it a very very bad plan? At worst you've wasted a few hours, at best you've got a place, the fact that people have pulled it off before means it's worth a shot...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.