Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many hours do you spend gaming? Watch

• View Poll Results: How many hours do you spend gaming per day?
    0-4 hours
    64.71%
    5-10 hours
    17.65%
    10+ hours
    17.65%

ReputationRep:
    If you're an avid gamer then you're most likely going to hear at some point complaining that you spend too much time on your console/PC.

But how much is too much? Is there an un/acceptable amount of hours?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Not much recently but used to spend 5-10 hrs.

Hoping to step up my game though :smug:. Plan to buy Overwatch when I've £££
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd class myself as avid but there's no way I could spend more than 2 to 3 hours tops gaming a day. It'd feel massively wasted.

It does depend on the game though. Something story driven like an RPG I could spend an hour or two grinding through. If I'm playing Paragon I might get in one or two games before that's enough. Most definitely only one game if it ends up being 50 minutes+. If I'm playing something fast paced like Overwatch I could easily sit there for 20 minutes or an hour. So it really varies based on what I'm playing. And I imagine with things like Pokemon Go someone could easily say much longer. But 4 hours of Pokemon Go and 4 hours of PC gaming don't equate.

What is worth mentioning though is it isn't always time spent in the game. I could spend half an hour running numbers for Paragon before jumping into a game. It's not spent directly gaming but is still time spent on the game.

And what about non digital games? I used to play a variety of cards games and could easily say I'd spend more than 1 or 2 hours a day sometimes. Same sort of thing, spending an hour building a deck, running numbers, practice hands and so on.

So if I put all that together it ends up being closer to the 5-10 hours on some days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Not much recently but used to spend 5-10 hrs.

Hoping to step up my game though :smug:. Plan to buy Overwatch when I've £££
    I've seen a lot of people playing Overwatch.. is it any good?

(Original post by Acsel)
    I'd class myself as avid but there's no way I could spend more than 2 to 3 hours tops gaming a day. It'd feel massively wasted.

It does depend on the game though. Something story driven like an RPG I could spend an hour or two grinding through. If I'm playing Paragon I might get in one or two games before that's enough. Most definitely only one game if it ends up being 50 minutes+. If I'm playing something fast paced like Overwatch I could easily sit there for 20 minutes or an hour. So it really varies based on what I'm playing. And I imagine with things like Pokemon Go someone could easily say much longer. But 4 hours of Pokemon Go and 4 hours of PC gaming don't equate.

What is worth mentioning though is it isn't always time spent in the game. I could spend half an hour running numbers for Paragon before jumping into a game. It's not spent directly gaming but is still time spent on the game.

And what about non digital games? I used to play a variety of cards games and could easily say I'd spend more than 1 or 2 hours a day sometimes. Same sort of thing, spending an hour building a deck, running numbers, practice hands and so on.

So if I put all that together it ends up being closer to the 5-10 hours on some days.
    Yeah I agree about RPGs, I feel as though you have to put a lot of days into it for the day, just to get into it. An hour barely gets anything done!

I see Paragon is free on PS Plus, but what is it actually about?

ReputationRep:
    Per day is it? I'd say 5-6 hrs, breaks scattered in between. Any more and it's draining af. Staring at my laptop screen for 2+ hours straight in one sitting is a lil depressing. My laptop isn't really built for PC games anyway so i don't play as many games as i want to, otherwise my time spent gaming would probably be a lot longer :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    Well to poor to buy atm but I've heard good things . For now I have Witcher (RPG) and FFXIV (MMORPG) to play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Well to poor to buy atm but I've heard good things . For now I have Witcher (RPG) and FFXIV (MMORPG) to play.
    Of course :doh:apologies, that's a tired PugDevil asking a question! Those two games should be good enough to last

There is always a severe lack of good games during the summer. They always come out at the same time

ReputationRep:
    At least 12 hours a day

ReputationRep:
    Per week I do 45-50 hours
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Yeah I agree about RPGs, I feel as though you have to put a lot of days into it for the day, just to get into it. An hour barely gets anything done!

I see Paragon is free on PS Plus, but what is it actually about?
    Definitely, especially with long RPG's where you're looking at more than a few hours to actually complete. Or if you're one of those people that likes to get every side quest, perfect play through and so on.

Paragon isn't about anything, it's a MOBA. It's got a few things to set it apart from other MOBA's but at it's core it's just a MOBA. Also don't be fooled by seeing it for free on PS, it's still in beta. It'll be free for everyone (PS and PC) on release but right now it's not a finished game so keep that in mind. If you have no interest in playing MOBA's, or don't want to play a game that's not even in open beta then steer clear. But as far as it goes I'm loving it right now and have invested a fair amount of time. Also worth mentioning that it's much better on PC. PS4 gameplay is just lacking right now, unless you're willing to plug in a mouse and keyboard and play that way. There's only so much you can do with a controller and it's much clunkier than using a keyboard. If you were interested I'd personally stick to PC and either wait for the official release next year or invest the £15 or so in a founders pack. But by all means download it and give it a go, see what you think.

And while you didn't ask me specifically, I can also comment on Overwatch. Good game, although lacking in story so unless you're committed to multiplayer games it gets a little boring after a while. It's the sort of game I go on, play a few rounds and hop off. But it's also fairly addicting and you find yourself playing more games than you intended. Not being pay to win is also nice. I recommend picking it up.

ReputationRep:
    BUY IT. It's one of the only games I've been playing recently and it's super fun :ahee:

But to answer the original question, even with all this time on my hands I'd say I don't really play more than 4 hours max per day :cute:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It varies, I can spend some days with only 6 hours of gaming and some around 15 hours, but I have to switch between platforms every 3 hours or so.

When I buy a new game day 1 that I've been hyped for, I spend quite a bit longer depending on how long it takes to beat it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It varies from 10 hours one day to a couple of hours the next day or maybe a couple of days with no gaming. On average though, I would say between 20 to 30 hours a week lately but then again, some weeks its a lot more and then others a lot less.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm

At the prime of my runescape days in like year 6/7 I preety sure at some points I spent 10 hoursish a day trying to get them levels. Then when I used to play fifa I would play a lot in year 10 before GCSEs.

This question is quite hard to answer.

Basically Before A levels = 24/7 gaming xD

Now I only play like 4-6hours a day

ReputationRep:
    im playing RS right now.
    it varies, an hour, sometimes less, sometimes more
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I play around 2-3 hours a day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.