Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What exactly does Freshers Week involve at St Andrews? I'm asking this because I have no idea what it might involve (aside from signing up for societies) so I'd like to know a bit more! Anyone in the know, please expand!

ReputationRep:
    When's the foam fight?
    St Andrews was on Coast the TV programme and they showed you the foam fight.. looked fun lol!

ReputationRep:
    On the St. Andrews website there is the following flyer for "orientation week", which I assume is fresher's week:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Or...ionFlyer-1.pdf

If that link doesn't work, then it's on the site under Current Students.... Orientation Flyer 2007. Not sure if this is the right one for us, but it looks pretty promising!

As for the foam fight, doesn't that take place on Raisin Monday? I think that's in November or thereabouts, maybe a current student could verify this? Hope someone will actually want to be my academic parent....

September is just toooooo far away.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the foam fight is normally on Raisin Monday as far as I know but that looks like an amazing laugh! Thanks for the flyer, I was hoping that there would be some sort of introductory tours and meetings - just to help us get to know the place and also so we can find out if the Student Union will have any cheap drinks night. I'm wanting to make my money stretch far after all!

ReputationRep:
    The flyer that CaptainLoop posted is the one for Orientation week 2007 (Freshers week). During orientation week you get an opportunity to take tours of the town / library / departmetns etc during the day.

You also meet with your advisor of studies to arrange which modules you are going to take as well have talks from the departments you plan to take modules with.

Then at night the union organises events (most of which are on the flyer) the halls also organise things ( http://www.yourunion.net/2007 )

ReputationRep:
    My goodness, i am so excited i might EXPLODE! apologies for the mess in advance

ReputationRep:
    OOoo can't wait for fresher's again! I'll be getting my kid's this year (taking applicants now :p:) fresher's week consists of pub crawls, loadsa fun parties and stuff in which people and ultra friendly and making friends... also has a fresher's fayre in which you go and join societies... societies have tables and you go and sign up (go over to the Marrow table and you'll meet me) there's a sports fayre where u go and sign up for sports, and then there's loadsa other events on; absolutely amazing fun, I'm going up early just to get ready... my birthday is the 16th September and so may be having a party in my house on North St.

ReputationRep:
    How do I apply so I can call you Dad :P.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, put in a personal statement under 3000 words, get a reference from your school and then you may be called up for interview ... or, you know, when you see me in the union (I'll be the loud one) let me know your from TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid_L)
    OOoo can't wait for fresher's again! I'll be getting my kid's this year (taking applicants now :p:) fresher's week consists of pub crawls, loadsa fun parties and stuff in which people and ultra friendly and making friends... also has a fresher's fayre in which you go and join societies... societies have tables and you go and sign up (go over to the Marrow table and you'll meet me) there's a sports fayre where u go and sign up for sports, and then there's loadsa other events on; absolutely amazing fun, I'm going up early just to get ready... my birthday is the 16th September and so may be having a party in my house on North St.

My birthday is also the 16th of September!! That clearly makes me eligible to be your daughter:p:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, and apparently it is neccessary for me to have a medic kid (something to do with my dad wanting to be a great-grandad or something like that). What a coincidence eh?

ReputationRep:
    "Chin it Fresher" .... I just thought I'd throw that out there. Better do some liver exercises if you want to get through freshers week.lol. Oh and I just thought I would clarify that freshers week, orientation week, pre-session etc are one and the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, are we going to have a TSR meet-up this freshers week? I managed to miss the one last year, I can't remember what excuse I had

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    Oooh, are we going to have a TSR meet-up this freshers week? I managed to miss the one last year, I can't remember what excuse I had
    Same here, but Im 110% coming this year, I really regretted not going last year, though I seem to have met most TSRers on the way anyway, usually without even realising it until well afterwards

ReputationRep:
    I think a TSR meetup would be great!

ReputationRep:
    4 weeks today til the start of freshers week

Is it true that at St As the proper name for freshers is bejants or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is true. First years are called Bejants. Second years are called semi-bejants. Third years: Tertians and fourth years: Magistrands.

ReputationRep:
    (not that anyone actually uses the terms though)

ReputationRep:
    The full schedule for freshers' week is up!

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Orientation07.pdf
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Omg! The Pigeon Detectives! That is so much cooler than Gina G!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 24, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.