Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does that constitute plagiarism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evar12345)
    Does that constitute plagiarism?
    You cannot plagiarise yourself. However, individual competitions might have rules about submissions being unique to themselves - you should check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    You cannot plagiarise yourself. However, individual competitions might have rules about submissions being unique to themselves - you should check.
    I tried to, but I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated this. Although one statement did claim that I must certify to not submit the essay for any "public examination". I'm not quite certain what they mean by that...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by evar12345)
    I tried to, but I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated this. Although one statement did claim that I must certify to not submit the essay for any "public examination". I'm not quite certain what they mean by that...
    I presume that just means to can't use a coursework essay.

Isn't there someone you can email to ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I presume that just means to can't use a coursework essay.

Isn't there someone you can email to ask?
    I did email them. But their response seemed evasive. I gather you're right about their implied meaning being coursework; it does make sense. Thanks a ton!

But the thing is, I'm an international student and my school curriculum doesn't have essays per se. So anything I write for competitions or written work would have to be done independently. I'm not sure, in that case, how they'd respond.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you would contravene any rules - they are probably used to getting 'double entries'. I suspect that the Julia Wood judges will be well aware of the questions for the Robson prize.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who stumbles upon this thread hereafter, I can confirm that I emailed the university and they say that one can indeed submit the same essay for both competitions.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.