Turn on thread page Beta

Masters degree/PhD watch

ReputationRep:
    I doubt I'll do well enough to get an MA. If I do though, I'd love get one - as well as a phD. I've always fancied the title Dr.

Customer: hey doctor, are they any more Value Beans in stock?

ReputationRep:
    I will have to do an LL.M. and/or a Dr. jur. to stand a chance of getting a good job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    My friend has just started his second PhD (after dropping out of an industry funded one after a yr) - he's getting £17k pa TAX FREE.

B*st*rd!

hey penicl queen help us out here if im doin and MA at St Andrews so scottish degree 4 yr course...what are the options after that..is it MA at an eng uni?! WHHHHHHHHHAT well dont get it!

ReputationRep:
    The scottish system is a pain in the bum, their MA is halfway between an english BA and an MA - it depends on which subject you've done at undergraduate level and what you want to study as a post grad.

If in doubt the answer to almost all postgrad questions can be found here: http://www.prospects.ac.uk (fabulous site).

u my friend r a genius...here have some rep!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    After you graduate with a bachelors degree, would you go on to study a masters degree and/or PhD?
    I did a D.Phil (PhD) straight from my BSc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    Everyone in science has funding
    Not true...

ReputationRep:
    Although you are a clever clogs
    I am not! I just worked a little harder than I played towards the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Not true...
    Like I said you'd be a retard to take a place without funding if you are a home or EU student, as funded places go vacant in science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    Like I said you'd be a retard to take a place without funding if you are a home or EU student, as funded places go vacant in science.
    Some people don't have the option! A fair few research grants only cover lab based stuff - consumables and the like and don't stretch to stipends for researchers...

Also places go vacant due to policy driven criteria. Working for a body that funds PhD students, I've seen this first hand.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't use the word retard in that context - I find it very offensive
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    Im planning on doing a masters after I finish my LLB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Yes, but this is mostly an not Oxbridge audience, so to most an Mphil is something below a PhD, but above an MA. Of course at Cambridge (and Oxford) MA are merely ceremonial, even though they do offers MSc's, I think.
    Apologies for my ignorance...but why is a MA in Oxbridge ceremonial? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone planning on studying for two master's degrees? It seems a good idea if your PhD proposal spans more than one subject area.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking forward to being a PhD student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I am looking forward to being a PhD student
    You're going to do a PhD in Engineering?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.