Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my A-levels and I honestly feel like I chose poorly, I realised this at the end of the first year but my school offers hardly any alevels and only really BTECs so changing course was not really viable. In addition to this, I live in Kent and there are seemingly no colleges that teach alevels nearby.
    That's not to say that I did particularly bad, I'm expecting a B at Alevel maths (I was expecting an A but I feel like I've messed up D1), I also took two Btecs, Media and Business and have a Distinction * and Distinction respectively. The issue is the fact that I feel like these aren't appealing choices. I want to go to university but I've never been 100% sure on what I want to study. I've been torn between computer science and finance but I feel like my alevel choices are a hindrance for both.
    At this point I'm considering either keeping my part time job and self teaching three alevels or applying for an apprenticeship and studying alongside it.
    The alevels I would choose are likey to be:
    A level maths, these will just be resits next year if need be.
    Computer Science
    History
    Either Biology or Further Maths.
    Any opinions on doing this? I feel like my options are really limited at the moment but is self teaching feasible if I'm really motivated? It's safe to say taht I have a completely different mindset now than I did when starting my alevels, in the past I've underachieved and I want to put a stop to that, but I feel like I need to succeed alevels before university.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ThatExamWas)
    I've just finished my A-levels and I honestly feel like I chose poorly, I realised this at the end of the first year but my school offers hardly any alevels and only really BTECs so changing course was not really viable. In addition to this, I live in Kent and there are seemingly no colleges that teach alevels nearby.
    That's not to say that I did particularly bad, I'm expecting a B at Alevel maths (I was expecting an A but I feel like I've messed up D1), I also took two Btecs, Media and Business and have a Distinction * and Distinction respectively. The issue is the fact that I feel like these aren't appealing choices. I want to go to university but I've never been 100% sure on what I want to study. I've been torn between computer science and finance but I feel like my alevel choices are a hindrance for both.
    At this point I'm considering either keeping my part time job and self teaching three alevels or applying for an apprenticeship and studying alongside it.
    Computer Science
    History
    Any opinions on doing this? I feel like my options are really limited at the moment but is self teaching feasible if I'm really motivated? It's safe to say taht I have a completely different mindset now than I did when starting my alevels, in the past I've underachieved and I want to put a stop to that, but I feel like I need to succeed alevels before university.
    You wish to study Computer Science or Finance? You have an A-level in Maths and BTEC in Business? Well most unis will either accept Computing or Computer Science or an A-level in Maths for Computer Science. Of course Finance will be a mixture between Business, Economics and Maths. So again, your fine with the subjects you study now.

An apprenticeship is where you study roughly 2-3 times a week whilst you work. So studying extra A-levels will be very rough for you. You must remember most apprenticeships will not hire you if you are over qualified. So if you want to do your apprenticeship then do it after your A-levels. But the thing is, apprenticeships are given to students who finish school after their GCSEs, not students who finish their A-levels. It's usually an alternative to A-levels. I'm not saying you won't get one, but since you're in Kent you've got to look to see if there are apprenticeships for yourself and how likely you will be to get one.

I personally don't see the need to revist A-levels. Your Level 3 qualifications are fine as they are. A-levels are expensive so I would just apply to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatExamWas)
    Computer Science
    History
    This is amazing- I think you should really go for it!! I haven't done computer science, but I'd suggest researching units for each of the exam boards, as I know sometimes there's a coursework element which may be difficult to self study. I did A level History, which is really interesting and the content would be pretty easy to learn as long as you learn the exam technique (and some exam boards have coursework in A2 so try to pick one which doesn't)

Biology is apparently a lot of memorisation work and the content would also be easy to self learn, compared to other subjects I think. Some unis count maths and further maths as one subject, so you might need to check that, but further maths would be good as you've already good a solid foundation in maths. If you want to do computer science/finance economics might also be worthwhile? I think you can self study the course too by learning from books and apparently it's really interesting- everyone I know who does it seems to love it!

I think the main thing is check uni entry requirements before you choose, to make sure you'll be accepted with your combination

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.