Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just picked up a 2nd part time job for the summer because my first job couldn't offer me enough hours.
    I'm working 40 hours next week with 36 being at the second job and 4 being at my first job. Admittedly, I don't like the first job and am glad that I don't have a lot of hours.
    I don't want to be working this much but it's just for this week so I don't mind.
    However, I got a text from my first work asking if I could come in today 11.30 till 4.30. I said no because I'm already doing 5 till 10 at my 2nd job. She text back basically guilting me into it and saying they really needed me. I stood my ground but how do I prevent her from guilting me into working in the future?

Is that even legal? Its a zero hour contract and we agreed I would just do weekends then said I won't need any more hours cos I got a 2nd job. I know this is only a summer job but I need time to rest and stuff so how do I go about this?

ReputationRep:
    You just say no... Or quit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidGold)
    You just say no... Or quit.
    I did say no and she just asked again and I was planning on not quitting so I could work there in the holidays from uni
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by rleah1998)
    how do I prevent her from guilting me into working in the future?
    You can't. She can ask for whatever she needs/wants, you can refuse. Eventually one of you will get bored with it and either she'll stop asking or you'll say yes or leave.

ReputationRep:
    Just say no. They can only ask staff if they want to do overtime. Ensuring all shifts are filled is not your job and you shouldn't feel guilty for doing so. If they are so desperate they would try their hardest to fill it, or get in the trenches themselves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.