Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, first post.

So I'm currently at RR doing a higher apprenticeship. Just finished a foundation degree in engineering and now have the opportunity to go do a Physics degree, something which I wanted to do at A-level but didn't really get the grades.

The thing is I could stay on at RR and do a top-up degree to a Beng in mechanical and manufacturing engineering from Derby Uni.

So what are your guys' opinions? are physics degrees fun? Are they worth the debt? am I giving up too good an opportunity by leaving RR? Just give me your general feedback.
    Thanks all

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you can't lose whatever you choose to do. I have heard that degree physics becomes very theoretical and mathematical which doesn't suit some, but I guess there are different courses for different horses. Take your time and do your research. Ask lots of questions.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Rolls Royce is a really great company to work for so gaining your B.Eng. with them would be fantastic.

I'm guessing RR are supporting you financially with your studies and mechanical engineering uses physics but only applied and so you would avoid all that theoretical stuff you won't really need as you'll be employed in similar positions from now on.

ReputationRep:
    The course im looking at is more practical than most, id love to go into experimental research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by post-grad-u-ate)
    Rolls Royce is a really great company to work for so gaining your B.Eng. with them would be fantastic.

I'm guessing RR are supporting you financially with your studies and mechanical engineering uses physics but only applied and so you would avoid all that theoretical stuff you won't really need as you'll be employed in similar positions from now on.
    See youbsay similar positions, however my aim would be to go into experimental research, what subject i dont know exactly yet!

So it would be a bit of a career change. Hiwever if i do physics i will still have the opportunity to go back into engineering

ReputationRep:
    You could top up to the BEng and then apply for a taught masters in physics. Many physics departments will accept an engineering undergraduate degree, although it might restrict your choices. It's something to think about / investigate anyway.

Leaving RR to do a physics degree is a risk, but if you get a decent degree classification, then considering the work experience you already have, you will be an attractive prospect for employers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.