Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in sixth form and looking study after. I have been looking at Bmus (hons) courses for Classical guitar (my instrument) , however i want to know if it is worth taking? will i be able to get work and earn decent money? I am quite academic so i have the option of studying something else such as mathematics, but a Bmus course for guitar is something i would enjoy so much more as i love music and playing the guitar. I am just worried about work in the future and pay. Anybody have any advise/experience?? Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi!

Music degrees have lots of transferable skills that can translate to non-performing careers. You would almost certainly be able to find SOME kind of work but sadly it's hard to get a solid/strong income from self-employed performing careers. Very few reach the top point of becoming world-class, full-time concert performers, so you would probably have to have a wide range of part-time jobs in order to get some kinda steady income.

I did an undergraduate BA Music degree at a university (and enjoyed it so much that I did an MA and am now doing a PhD!), but my tuition fees were £3K, not £9K per year. If money/debt is something that concerns you, it would be wise to think about whether you consider the tuition fees to be worth it. If I had had to pay £9K fees, I personally probably would have chosen a different degree like English Literature or History (I have no mathematical/science ability). That's because I come from a poor background and money really worries me.

Do you have any particular institutions in mind?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by redmcq)
    I am currently in sixth form and looking study after. I have been looking at Bmus (hons) courses for Classical guitar (my instrument) , however i want to know if it is worth taking? will i be able to get work and earn decent money? I am quite academic so i have the option of studying something else such as mathematics, but a Bmus course for guitar is something i would enjoy so much more as i love music and playing the guitar. I am just worried about work in the future and pay. Anybody have any advise/experience?? Thanks
    Hi redmcq,

Great to hear you’re interested in studying music!

The reality is, a music degree isn’t the ‘golden ticket’ to a really successful performing career. The performing arts world is very competitive, so it takes a lot of drive, enthusiasm and dedication to meet your ambitions. Having said that, a music degree does provide a great springboard into the profession. The transferable skills that you gain isn’t limited to the concert hall, but can also be really useful in other areas like arts administration, marketing etc.

At Trinity Laban, we don’t think music is only about spending time in a practice room 9 to 5 – we believe that the entrepreneurial skills that you gain as a musician is equally important to building a strong career. Whether that’s building close networks with fellow students and staff, or organising a creative project, our courses give students the opportunity to develop a rich set of professional skills and achieve more than just a certificate with a grade!

I agree it’s always sensible to consider how the course of your choice will help you in the near future, but what’s equally important is making sure you pursue and educational and professional path that you passionately believe in! The work and money comes from your strong work ethic, commitment and enjoyment to the profession.

If you’re interested, we offer a BMus programme: http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/study/music/bmus-hons along with other one-year pre-degree courses. You can also check out our website for information on our Guitar department: http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/study/...strings/guitar

Hope you find this information useful! If you have any other burning questions, give us a shout. We’d love to hear from you!

Isaku

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Hi!

Music degrees have lots of transferable skills that can translate to non-performing careers. You would almost certainly be able to find SOME kind of work but sadly it's hard to get a solid/strong income from self-employed performing careers. Very few reach the top point of becoming world-class, full-time concert performers, so you would probably have to have a wide range of part-time jobs in order to get some kinda steady income.

I did an undergraduate BA Music degree at a university (and enjoyed it so much that I did an MA and am now doing a PhD!), but my tuition fees were £3K, not £9K per year. If money/debt is something that concerns you, it would be wise to think about whether you consider the tuition fees to be worth it. If I had had to pay £9K fees, I personally probably would have chosen a different degree like English Literature or History (I have no mathematical/science ability). That's because I come from a poor background and money really worries me.

Do you have any particular institutions in mind?
    Hi sorry for such late reply haha havent been on the TSR in a long time. Planning to apply to Royal academy of music, Royal college of music, Trinity Laban, Birmingham conservetoir and royal northern college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrinityLaban)
    Hi redmcq,

Great to hear you’re interested in studying music!

The reality is, a music degree isn’t the ‘golden ticket’ to a really successful performing career. The performing arts world is very competitive, so it takes a lot of drive, enthusiasm and dedication to meet your ambitions. Having said that, a music degree does provide a great springboard into the profession. The transferable skills that you gain isn’t limited to the concert hall, but can also be really useful in other areas like arts administration, marketing etc.

At Trinity Laban, we don’t think music is only about spending time in a practice room 9 to 5 – we believe that the entrepreneurial skills that you gain as a musician is equally important to building a strong career. Whether that’s building close networks with fellow students and staff, or organising a creative project, our courses give students the opportunity to develop a rich set of professional skills and achieve more than just a certificate with a grade!

I agree it’s always sensible to consider how the course of your choice will help you in the near future, but what’s equally important is making sure you pursue and educational and professional path that you passionately believe in! The work and money comes from your strong work ethic, commitment and enjoyment to the profession.

If you’re interested, we offer a BMus programme: http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/study/music/bmus-hons along with other one-year pre-degree courses. You can also check out our website for information on our Guitar department: http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/study/...strings/guitar

Hope you find this information useful! If you have any other burning questions, give us a shout. We’d love to hear from you!

Isaku
    Hello, sorry for such a late reply i haven't been on the student room since this post! Thank you in your reply, i am planning on applying to the Trinity Laban for the BMus hons for 2018 entry (hopefully). I was wondering, what theory knowledge requirements you would recommend i should have when auditioning? I am not doing A level music as my school didn't offer it but am studying grade 6 theory currently and hoping to work to as higher grade possible in the time until the auditions. I am also learning about how to harmonize Bach chorals as have been told this comes up in A level music and believe this would be helpful. I would like to know if there are any other things you think i should be able to do/work towards for the audition?
    P.s. On your website for Bmus requirements it says grade 8 in principle study, does that mean i ahve to have a grade 8 certificate or they just want Grade 8 standard at least of playing?

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.