Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Pinsent Masons Gap Year 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm considering applying for the Pinsent Masons Gap Year Programme starting in Sept 2017 and wanted to create a place where applicants could discuss

I guess a good intro would be:
    grades (GCSE/AS/A2)
    Uni's applying to

ReputationRep:
    Hullo. I'm hoping to apply for the 2017 gap year programme. GCSE wise I have 1 A*, 5As, 3Bs and a C. Currently waiting on one external AS result in Government and Politics. Got an A in an internal History exam prior to the holidays. I'm also taking English Language and Economics. Uncertain about which (if any) to drop, which will rest on the Politics result. Currently looking to apply to Oxford (Regent's Park College), SOAS, Liverpool, Birmingham, and undecided on a fifth.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

GCSEs: 3A*3A5B1C (very rubbish, I know)
    AS: History, Geography, English Lit and Politics.
    A-Levels: Dropping Lit, thus the rest will be my A2s
    Unis: Manchester, Nottingham, Kings, UCL and Durham (maybe).

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punkrockfan)
    Hey!

How about you?
    Hi
    GCSEs : 8A* 2A
    AS: History, Economics, Politics, Biology .... (waiting on results but really messed up so definitely won't match GCSEs!)
    A-Levels: Econ, Pol, Bio
    Unis: Exeter, York, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Durham

Thinking of applying to Pinsent Masons Edinburgh office

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

GCSEs: 6 A*s 5 As 1 B 1 C

AS: English Lit, Biology, Latin and Psychology

A levels: Biology, Psychology and Lit

Unis: Oxford, KCL, LSE, Manchester and Liverpool

Planning on applying to the Birmingham office

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherineeegrace)
    Hi
    GCSEs : 8A* 2A
    AS: History, Economics, Politics, Biology .... (waiting on results but really messed up so definitely won't match GCSEs!)
    A-Levels: Econ, Pol, Bio
    Unis: Exeter, York, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Durham

Thinking of applying to Pinsent Masons Edinburgh office
    (Original post by Punkrockfan)
    Hey!

How about you?
    (Original post by andrewdwilliams)
    Hullo. I'm hoping to apply for the 2017 gap year programme. GCSE wise I have 1 A*, 5As, 3Bs and a C. Currently waiting on one external AS result in Government and Politics. Got an A in an internal History exam prior to the holidays. I'm also taking English Language and Economics. Uncertain about which (if any) to drop, which will rest on the Politics result. Currently looking to apply to Oxford (Regent's Park College), SOAS, Liverpool, Birmingham, and undecided on a fifth.
    Are you guys going to apply for deferred entry, or applying for 2017 entry with the hope of being allowed to defer if accepted on to the Gap year scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Are you guys going to apply for deferred entry, or applying for 2017 entry with the hope of being allowed to defer if accepted on to the Gap year scheme?
    I think I'll apply for 2017 entry and then attempt to defer if I get offers from my 1st/2nd choice Uni and accepted on to PM scheme. If I cannot get deferral I'll probs just go to Uni instead.

ReputationRep:
    Applying for the 2017 entry with the hope of getting a deferral. Of the universities I am apply to, I can foresee only Oxford as being likely to turn down a deferral request, but I only have a slim chance of getting an offer from them in the first place. In the unlikely situation I get an offer from Oxford and Pinsent Masons accept me, but I couldn't do both, I would go with Oxford. Most universities, I imagine, would be happy for you to defer your place if your gap year involves 8 months working for a top law firm.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply but I'll be applying for 2017 entry. I'm worried that deferred entry might put me at a slight disadvantage.

And Manchester office for me

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the dates of the application? - I've had a look online but can't find them.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJennifer26)
    Does anyone know the dates of the application? - I've had a look online but can't find them.
    Thanks
    Applications open early September and the deadline is usually late November so you won't miss it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently going into year 13 so technically I'm going to be looking at applying for 2018 entry to Pinsent Masons. I don't live in London so can anyone tell me if they offer anything in the form of accommodation or whether or not there are any hotels/flats that aren't too expensive that are in the area and easy to get to by train/walking from the firm (I know this is unlikely as it's London but if anyone has any ideas would be much appreciated)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealKaramura)
    I'm currently going into year 13 so technically I'm going to be looking at applying for 2018 entry to Pinsent Masons. I don't live in London so can anyone tell me if they offer anything in the form of accommodation or whether or not there are any hotels/flats that aren't too expensive that are in the area and easy to get to by train/walking from the firm (I know this is unlikely as it's London but if anyone has any ideas would be much appreciated)
    I'm not sure if you WANT to be in London or because there isn't an office near where you live (they do it in all their UK offices aside from Belfast) but from what I read on some threads for previous years, some of them share a flat but I don't think Pinsent organise it. You'll be paid quite a bit so if you share a flat with whoever is on the scheme, you'll be fine. If there is an office in your city or close, it'll be better there: its cheaper and less competitive.

But you can try emailing them directly, they should be able to help.
    [email protected]

Also, if you're going into y13 this year, your gap year IS sept 2017?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I've started the scheme for this year so if any of you need and help or advice I'd be willing to help. Within reason of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnsmith345)
    Hi everyone, I've started the scheme for this year so if any of you need and help or advice I'd be willing to help. Within reason of course
    Hello!

What's it like? Do your days mostly consist of filing and paper work etc??

How essential is knowledge of corporate law/business? In the interview where they tested your corporate knowledge, how in depth was it?
    Also is the workload quite a lot?

Did your unis allow you to defer or did you apply for deferred entry initially?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnsmith345)
    Hey!!

So I'm wondering what your GCSEs/AS-levels are. My AS levels were ABBC. Will they hinder my application dramatically? Do you know anyone who got similar AS grades on the scheme?

Also, which office are you in and how many gap year people there are?

Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    Bad news I'm afraid- they've discontinued the scheme. I noticed the information had been removed from the website in the last few days and emailed them to ask, and got a reply saying that they will no longer being doing it due to a 'change in business requirements.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealmcb)
    Bad news I'm afraid- they've discontinued the scheme. I noticed the information had been removed from the website in the last few days and emailed them to ask, and got a reply saying that they will no longer being doing it due to a 'change in business requirements.'
    Omfg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealmcb)
    i had a feeling.. omg

ReputationRep:
    Bad news Im afraid. I noticed that Pinsent Masons had removed the page from their website and emailed them to check if it was just an error. Unfortunately, they have discontinued the scheme 'due to a change in business requirements.'

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.