Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Im currently doing summer internship in finance department reporting to financial controller of the company. She is supervisor of my internship and I mostly (95% of the time) work with her. Now I asked her to write a recommendation for me and she agreed to so. However this year I will be applying for graduate jobs and schemes and I was wondering who I should choose as my proffesional referee. I could ask chief financial officer of the company who is in higher position than my supervisor but does not know me as well. Or should I just stick to my internship supervisor? Any advice will be much appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by grad2017)
    Hi everyone,
    Im currently doing summer internship in finance department reporting to financial controller of the company. She is supervisor of my internship and I mostly (95% of the time) work with her. Now I asked her to write a recommendation for me and she agreed to so. However this year I will be applying for graduate jobs and schemes and I was wondering who I should choose as my proffesional referee. I could ask chief financial officer of the company who is in higher position than my supervisor but does not know me as well. Or should I just stick to my internship supervisor? Any advice will be much appreciated.
    I would use your supervisor as they know you better and you worked under them.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The idea of a referee is that they are able to bouch for you. Is the CFI willing to write a reference and do they know your work? Why did you bother to ask your supervisor if she was only ever a fallback? How long was your internship for? How much contact and work did you do with the CFO?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

From what little experience I have and more experienced colleagues you should always ask someone who knows the most about you and can provide the best view of you. Then on top of that if you can get the CFO to do it for you as well that will be really good. My advice tell him what you want to go into your reference, write it yourself then he will be much more willing to have a discussion with you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahasanarhu)
    Hi

From what little experience I have and more experienced colleagues you should always ask someone who knows the most about you and can provide the best view of you. Then on top of that if you can get the CFO to do it for you as well that will be really good. My advice tell him what you want to go into your reference, write it yourself then he will be much more willing to have a discussion with you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your response!

What I am concerned about is whether a recommendation from someone who is not head of the department is sufficient for a professional job. The company I work for is rather small (around 50 employees) and I got to know CFO quite well too.
    Maybe Im just thinking too much into it, but even if worked say in a retail shop I wouldnt ask one of team leaders or colleagues (people who know me a lot better) to write my recommendation, I would ask my store manager just because they are in higher position.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks for your response!

What I am concerned about is whether a recommendation from someone who is not head of the department is sufficient for a professional job. The company I work for is rather small (around 50 employees) and I got to know CFO quite well too.
    Maybe Im just thinking too much into it, but even if worked say in a retail shop I wouldnt ask one of team leaders or colleagues (people who know me a lot better) to write my recommendation, I would ask my store manager just because they are in higher position.
    Then why did you even bother asking her?
    Have you bothered asking the CFO?
    How long was this internship for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Then why did you even bother asking her?
    Have you bothered asking the CFO?
    How long was this internship for?
    It was written in my contract that she will write it for me. But im doing my internship in Brussels so im thinking maybe the rules are different from UK.
    4 months.
    I hope I have answered all of your questions and you really dont have to waste your time writing rude comments. Im sure other members of the forum will be able to help too. Good luck.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It was written in my contract that she will write it for me. But im doing my internship in Brussels so im thinking maybe the rules are different from UK.
    4 months.
    I hope I have answered all of your questions and you really dont have to waste your time writing rude comments. Im sure other members of the forum will be able to help too. Good luck.
    If youd provided the relevant information to beging with then people wouldnt have to ask.

Even if it was written in your contract you chose to ask her and she agreed to probide it, but all of a suddent she's not important enough for you. If that was the case, then why bother asking her and instead go straight to the CFO if you are on good enough terms? Now you have gotten yourself into a dilemma becayse you will need to explain to her why you want to go above her. She might not care or she might be offended.

My questions were perfectly legitimate ones.

You would be in a better position if you asked the CFO if he would write it and then you know what is on the table or not. It would seem the person in the best position to give you a reference would be the one who knew your work and as you did 95% for her, then she is the one who could answer any questions about you if someone enquired about the reference. If you are clever about the way you do it, then it can be achieved without treading on anyones toes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If youd provided the relevant information to beging with then people wouldnt have to ask.

Even if it was written in your contract you chose to ask her and she agreed to probide it, but all of a suddent she's not important enough for you. If that was the case, then why bother asking her and instead go straight to the CFO if you are on good enough terms? Now you have gotten yourself into a dilemma becayse you will need to explain to her why you want to go above her. She might not care or she might be offended.

My questions were perfectly legitimate ones.

You would be in a better position if you asked the CFO if he would write it and then you know what is on the table or not. It would seem the person in the best position to give you a reference would be the one who knew your work and as you did 95% for her, then she is the one who could answer any questions about you if someone enquired about the reference. If you are clever about the way you do it, then it can be achieved without treading on anyones toes.
    Listen mate, why do you feel the need to come in and just ruin somebodys mood? Like do you think you're helping or what? If you havent got anything to say - just leave. Thanks.
    You're answering questions I never asked. I didnt get myself into a dilemma and im not worried about asking one or the other because they are both great people and we get along really well.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Listen mate, why do you feel the need to come in and just ruin somebodys mood? Like do you think you're helping or what? If you havent got anything to say - just leave. Thanks.
    You're answering questions I never asked. I didnt get myself into a dilemma and im not worried about asking one or the other because they are both great people and we get along really well.

Its a public forum. You are being rather oversensitive. You asked a question and I answered it. I was looking at the issues on the information presented.

If you get on that well with both of them and you feel its important enough, then you can easily ask the CFO without treading on your managers toes. Just takes a bit of tact.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.