Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone I would just like some advice please.I graduated last year and I am really interested in getting a position in Accountancy (specifically audit or forensic accounting) however from september 2015 up until now I have been unsucessful in trying to get a position on any graduate scheme at an accountancy firm. My dream would be to work for a big 4 firm but any of the top 10 I would be happy with. I am finding the whole thing very disheartening as I feel like time is ticking. Sometimes i pass the online tests and then other times I don't pass the tests (for example I was unsuccessful with Deloitte's online numerical reasoning tests) In the meantime I have found it difficult to even find relevant work experience to also help gain insight. If anyone has any advice on that would be much appreciated or similarly if anyone has been through something similar and has any tips please!Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am in exactly the same position as you or probably worse. Well I am still about to graduate next year but I applied for a bunch of internships this year. All in all, a painstaking effort through and through but with no luck. I have felt disheartened all the year round and my grade has been affected too which means I need to get a mid 2.1 in my final year to get a 2.1 overall. I am not into accounting but I have some knowledge about it. I'd suggest focusing on GT, BDO, Smith and Williamson over Big4. They are easier to break into over big4. Go to BDO's open days. I have been there before and it was great. Got to interact with a few trainees from Advisory. I am sure they wouldn't mind having a graduate there. As far as I remember, none of them ask for a CV submission except Pwc so they wouldn't automatically reject you hence, not to worry about you not having a relevant work experience. Other things you could do is try finding people from your school who work there and perhaps send them a request on LinkedIn. Some people are really helpful and I have been helped in the past by this. I could never get through an AC(I have attended 4 so far) mostly because my interview skills aren't great. In my opinion, its all about clearing the application stage(which is pure luck at times) and telephone round is simple; most people get through to an AC. Regarding clearing the test stage, I'd suggest you to sign up for assessmentday or gradmonkey where they have loads of tests to practice. Both cost around 35 quid I believe. Its worth a try. Probably will help you score better on the tests which might give you a better shot at going through the next round. Another suggestion would be to apply to roles in regional offices since they are always inundated with applications for London. Probs even choose an office in smaller towns such as Ipswich. Good luck (y) I'm sure you'll get through.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/ is great for practice tests. You can share accounts so it's not too expensive if you know people who'd like to chip in. Passing these sort of tests is only a matter of practising them as much as you can before sitting the real deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmejoy21)
    Hi, I am in exactly the same position as you or probably worse. Well I am still about to graduate next year but I applied for a bunch of internships this year. All in all, a painstaking effort through and through but with no luck. I have felt disheartened all the year round and my grade has been affected too which means I need to get a mid 2.1 in my final year to get a 2.1 overall. I am not into accounting but I have some knowledge about it. I'd suggest focusing on GT, BDO, Smith and Williamson over Big4. They are easier to break into over big4. Go to BDO's open days. I have been there before and it was great. Got to interact with a few trainees from Advisory. I am sure they wouldn't mind having a graduate there. As far as I remember, none of them ask for a CV submission except Pwc so they wouldn't automatically reject you hence, not to worry about you not having a relevant work experience. Other things you could do is try finding people from your school who work there and perhaps send them a request on LinkedIn. Some people are really helpful and I have been helped in the past by this. I could never get through an AC(I have attended 4 so far) mostly because my interview skills aren't great. In my opinion, its all about clearing the application stage(which is pure luck at times) and telephone round is simple; most people get through to an AC. Regarding clearing the test stage, I'd suggest you to sign up for assessmentday or gradmonkey where they have loads of tests to practice. Both cost around 35 quid I believe. Its worth a try. Probably will help you score better on the tests which might give you a better shot at going through the next round. Another suggestion would be to apply to roles in regional offices since they are always inundated with applications for London. Probs even choose an office in smaller towns such as Ipswich. Good luck (y) I'm sure you'll get through.
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for your advice! it is definitely very competitive out there I'm just going to keep trying. Good luck to you aswell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohdrama)
    https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/ is great for practice tests. You can share accounts so it's not too expensive if you know people who'd like to chip in. Passing these sort of tests is only a matter of practising them as much as you can before sitting the real deal.
    Thank you I'll check out this website!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberrylace90)
    Hi everyone I would just like some advice please.I graduated last year and I am really interested in getting a position in Accountancy (specifically audit or forensic accounting) however from september 2015 up until now I have been unsucessful in trying to get a position on any graduate scheme at an accountancy firm. My dream would be to work for a big 4 firm but any of the top 10 I would be happy with. I am finding the whole thing very disheartening as I feel like time is ticking. Sometimes i pass the online tests and then other times I don't pass the tests (for example I was unsuccessful with Deloitte's online numerical reasoning tests) In the meantime I have found it difficult to even find relevant work experience to also help gain insight. If anyone has any advice on that would be much appreciated or similarly if anyone has been through something similar and has any tips please!Thanks.
    Hi Strawberry Lace, I can't offer much in the way of tips and advice because I am in need of them as well. What i can offer is a great deal of empathy. I am also a 2015 Grad: got a first in a non-finance degree, meanwhile i've worked a full year shift working in barwork and feel like I have 'wasted' so much time. I have decided I'm really committed to getting an accountancy role in audit or tax but like you i'm not having much luck with the timed exams. Unusual because I have always been good at exams (A* and A throughout school). It has to be that we just aren't practiced enough, so let's both make a commitment and do loads of these practice ones. Honestly I sat in this same chair last night and sobbed my heart out because I felt hopeless. Feel free to DM me for a chat or a boost. In fact anyone reading this just know you're not alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberrylace90)
    Check out recruitment firms to see if they can get you a short contract (like 6 months to 1 year) related to accounting. The experience can help you a lot.

Don't limit your options, try other medium sized firms too. Sometimes we can't get into the big firms we want, so it's worth looking elsewhere. Perhaps look at grad schemes for other companies too? Accountancy firms aren't the only places who offer the ACA. The National Audit Office offer it for example. So it's worth looking around.

And just practice as much as you can, the tests and getting your interview skills to a better standard. In the end I managed to secure a grad scheme, after being rejected by a ridiculous amount of places. Sometimes it's a case of being patient and keep trying until you are successful. Just remember to not get disheartened and keep trying.

ReputationRep:
    I also graduated in 2015, ive only started looking for a job for the last 1month and half.... been rejected alot its hard.... but keep going!!! if you need to talk, pm me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.