Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone moved for University with their boyfriend/girlfriend? Would you say it makes it more difficult for you to make friends?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Are you sure that this is what you really want? Was this uni the first choice for both of you and a good fit for both of you? If yes to both these then go for it. If you're living together and spend a lot of time together you will be seen as a unit so make sure you spend time apart, make an effort to meet other people and make friends and keep up your interests and hobbies outside of your studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Are you sure that this is what you really want? Was this uni the first choice for both of you and a good fit for both of you? If yes to both these then go for it. If you're living together and spend a lot of time together you will be seen as a unit so make sure you spend time apart, make an effort to meet other people and make friends and keep up your interests and hobbies outside of your studies.
    My boyfriend isn't a uni student. He's 10 years older than me so he's already established -owning his own businesses and houses. I was always planning on going to University and we thought it would make it easier if we lived together so he decided that he would move to York with me

ReputationRep:
    Don't do this, unless you're like engaged or something

ReputationRep:
    Everybody will say don't do it, put your education first etc. Which I totally agree with but just as an example my friend and her boyfriend selected the same university and have both just graduated. They lived together in a house with other people and everything seemed to go well for them. Just don't miss out on any other social events.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My boyfriend actually came to the uni I had firmed. He's silly in the way he didn't care what uni he went to etc. Many people thought it was ridiculous, that we'd regret it, even I was apprehensive at first. However it only made us happier, we made friends and everything is lovely we lived together in second year with a few other people and are living together in third year with the same people and it's great

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to resurrect a slightly old thread, but this is something I know a bit about! I moved into couples accommodation at York with my non-student boyfriend in first year (2013). We had been together for 3 years at that point, we're both from a fairly small city where there were not a lot of job opportunities so it seemed like the right time to take that step. My parents were really apprehensive, warned me that I would get distracted etc. and I too faced the normal barrage of comments like 'it won't last, you'll meet someone else'. Let's just say I graduated this year with a first class degree, he has been my rock through it all and it was definitely a good decision! (Plus we're most definitely not engaged haha)

Although there is definitely some truth to the argument that two people doing the same degree and living together has the potential to become isolating, it's a lot easier if you're living relatively separate day-to-day lives. My boyfriend and I moved into our own rented house after first year so lived alone together at that point, but I still had plenty of other friends and he had his.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.