Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I choose well known university or non target with more interesting course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am currently on my gap year, unsure about what to do with my uni studies. I have an offer for Meng Mechanical Engineering with Business finance at UCL, however I feel that I don't want to be an engineer in future. I have also an option to study at the best uni in my country(Poland). The course: mathematics with economics its something which seems to be more interesting for me.
    I would like to pursue career in investment banking or private equity in future, hopefully in London. Do you think its better for me to pursue engineering at UCL, as it is a target for investment banking or to pursue more interesting subject at non target in continental europe?
    In order to break to City from Poland, I would probably have to get into one of the top Msc in Finance.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by riko232)
    Hi

I am currently on my gap year, unsure about what to do with my uni studies. I have an offer for Meng Mechanical Engineering with Business finance at UCL, however I feel that I don't want to be an engineer in future. I have also an option to study at the best uni in my country(Poland). The course: mathematics with economics its something which seems to be more interesting for me.
    I would like to pursue career in investment banking or private equity in future, hopefully in London. Do you think its better for me to pursue engineering at UCL, as it is a target for investment banking or to pursue more interesting subject at non target in continental europe?
    In order to break to City from Poland, I would probably have to get into one of the top Msc in Finance.
    Given that this is essentially a question about investment banking, would you like me to move your thread there, where you will (hopefully) receive better answers?

ReputationRep:
    Yes please, that is a good idea
    (Original post by Smack)
    Given that this is essentially a question about investment banking, would you like me to move your thread there, where you will (hopefully) receive better answers?

ReputationRep:
    UCL is much more expensive, indeed. I have done 2 investment banking internships during my gap year and I think I am really into it. Sadly, I think I discovered it too late
    (Original post by mrahim)
    Any idea why you want to be a banker? And wouldn't UCL be much more expensive? I thought UK is leaving the EU? Don't base your entire decision on one aspiration just go with the flow. That said, i don't know about IB, but for tech all my friends who tried from UCL got a job at a bank.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes please, that is a good idea
    Done.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Read the stickies in the IB forum.

And I'll tag one of the resident experts for you... Princepieman

ReputationRep:
    go ucl if banking is your only aim

ReputationRep:
    UCL

ReputationRep:
    UCL is much more expensive, indeed. I have done 2 investment banking internships during my gap year and I think I am really into it. Sadly, I think I discovered it too late
    You've already got 2 investment banking internships, that's way more than what most people have before they start uni so you'll have a very good chance at either one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Engineering next year with the intention of going into a career in finance, but tbh I much prefer Maths&mechanics/Physics. Previously I wanted to go into a industrial engineering career after a couple of work exp. and found what they do quite critical fundamentally to the way we live and function as a society, so felt like it was an awesome degree to do. I did maths/further maths/physics/chemistry at school, and never learnt economics, so didn't choose to do it at university as not sure if i'd enjoy it. Obviously since I haven't even started uni and haven't gotten any proper finance experience I don't feel inclined to give you any advice you should listen to, but if you don't feel up to an engineering degree don't do it, as the workload will be killer if you don't like it.

I would just do what you feel most comfortable with and go from there, regardless of target/non-target

However I feel like I should give you some info on the engineering course at UCL. I know two people in first year at UCL studying Mech. Eng, and they both detest it, hence why I'm off to Warwick and not UCL. One of them's changing to Biology and the other is changing to electrical next year as they think the teaching sucks.

I also posted this in response to someone asking why I picked Warwick over UCL and think you should give these links a look.

"A couple of reasons really. Firstly of all the universities I've visited (Warwick, Manchester, Sheffield, Loughborough) UCL had the oldest and basically shabbiest department with the other universities much more modern and sleek. You would think UCL would invest to improve this but I think they are more well known for there research in chemical/biomedical engineering hence their funding for research goes primarily their (hence there really low uni rankings in Mech.Eng). Also I have a friend who picked UCL over Warwick/Leeds for mechanical engineering purely for the brand name and he said it was his biggest regret. He said the lectures are really hard if you haven't pre-read there is little to no help available as all the tutors are too busy. He also said there was a lot of travelling involved (if you do the business finance degree w/LSE(out from 9-6)) which meant he had very few hours to do social things like join societies etc. Also reading online I have found people with similar experiences calling it a "second rate engineering dept" .

Obviously I don't know everything about UCL (I picked it for overall rep. and brand name for banking and finance alongside with LSE, and it would be a completely amazing experience to study in London), if they do give me an offer I will definitely go and investigate again, to see if it is up to other unis standards but from my own judgement, for now I am fairly sure I am going to go to Warwick

I would however recommend you go visit the Mech.eng department specifically and ask lots of questions to the lectures. UCL as an overall uni is imperessive however for engineering I would seriously consider elsewhere.

Some things I think you should read:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1028999
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2697208
    http://www.ratemyuni.co.uk/review.php?id=41
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2070787

Good Luck "

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.